Chapter 32- Cracks

Ethan

I stared at the ceiling of the living room, my body doused in blankets on top of the couch.

The couch.

not my bed

I'd relapsed, if that's what you cared to call it. After a whole fucking week of sleeping in my bed, the nightmares had come back.

and i still hadn't heard from her

Marci had gone home alongside her brother with the promise of an explanation and a chocolate chip cookie to make up for it.

I hadn't gotten either.

Marci hadn't shown up at school once this week and I was drowning in anxiety over her.

The night that Marci left, I lay awake in my bed for hours worrying, my hands shaking violently as I waited for the good night text that I knew wouldn't come.

For the first time in years, I had allowed myself to get attached to someone, and it had blown up in my face in such epic fucking proportions that I wasn't sure I could detach if I wanted to.

I'd spent hours thinking about Marci, and when I'd finally fallen asleep, I was haunted with horrific images, and now I was banished to the living room again.

Fuck

fuck fuck fuck fuck

where was she??

I was yanked from my self pity when I heard a gentle rattling from behind me, and shot up on the couch in surprise.

I half expected a burglar, but what I didn't expect to see was a tired looking Claire Biggs fumbling with our back door.

the fuck?

I rolled off of the couch and crawled to my feet, stumbling over to the door tiredly.

Claire was cursing to herself when the handle got stuck again and fell out of the door. She placed it back in for the hundredth time and tried to twist it again.

It made a horrible squeaking noise at this and remained shut as Claire groaned in frustration.

Claire threw her head back in resignation, but quickly gasped in fear as she noticed my sudden presence.

When her fear finally passed and her face filled with recognition, her cheeks flushed in embarrassment as she mumbled muffled apologies and backed away from the door and turned back in the direction of her house.

I signaled for her to stay as I ran to the junk drawer in the kitchen and fumbled around it hurriedly.

I tossed around random light bulbs, coins, and an alarming amount of condoms before I finally found what I was looking for.

When I finally found what I wanted, I slammed the drawer shut, flinching at the noise, and sped back to where Claire was. I stuck the extra knob that I had grabbed from the drawer into the slot of the door, and jiggled it from side to side.

The door clicked open.

Claire sped through the now open door and engulfed me in a grateful hug. "Ah thank you Ethan!" She whispered screamed excitedly, careful not to wake my mother. She instinctively padded over to the staircase and began to speed up the stairs to her destination as I headed back to my spot on the couch to return to my thoughts.