Chapter 37- I'm Sorry

Marci

"You know where to go" Shane told me, still staring me down like he wanted to eat me alive. He held his gaze on my body for the full walk towards the bedroom at the end of the hall, where I knew my brother would be.

It freaked me out that Shane was following me, but not enough to stop me from getting to Joey.

While being alone in a bedroom with Shane was high up on my list of worst nightmares, the possibility of my brother dying was far higher.

And that wasn't the only thing that was high.

When I finally reached the room, Shane close on my heels, I cracked open the door, and bolted to the mattress in the corner of the room, ignoring the horrific odor wafting from it.

Sure enough, my brother lay sprawled out across the dirty fabric, his face battered and bruised, and his skin so grey he was almost unrecognizable.

I held my expressions steady, refusing to display my devastation in front of Shane, because weakness was always a weapon with him.

I drew closer to Joey's unconscious body, holding my breath and squeezing my eyes shut as I gently drew and discarded a used needle from his arm.

heroin

oh god

"Joe" I whispered, afraid to frighten myself with the sound of my own voice as I nudged my brother with my foot.

He didn't budge.

"Joe!" I said, a little louder as I bent down and nudged his face with my hand.

His skin was practically ice.

oh my god.

he was dead.

"Joe!" I screamed, grabbing onto his shoulders and shaking them violently, his head lolling side to side as I did so. "Joe wake up!" I shrieked, my fake nonchalant facade flying out of the window.

After far too long, a groan escaped my brother's lips along with a horrific gurgling noise, and then silence fell.

Shit.

I flipped my brother onto his stomach, and held his limp body up with all of my strength as he spewed a black stream of vomit across the mattress.

He vomited for what seemed like ages and dry heaved for even longer, until my body finally gave in and I collapsed onto my knees, dropping his body back into the mattress, causing him to narrowly miss a pile of black mystery mucus.

"Goddamnit Joe" I sighed, trying my best to suck air into my lungs despite my panic.

"I'm sorry Marci, I'm so sorry," He grumbled and gasped as he crawled onto his hands and knees, just before he collapsed again.

"Don't be sorry Joe, I know, I promise I know." I coaxed, rubbing his back gently. "It just hurts."

"I'm sorry."

"Come on, you've gotta help me here." I sighed as I tossed one of his huge biceps over my shoulder and uselessly attempted to drag him from the floor and towards the doorway.

He didn't budge.

Shit!

Ugh!

"Shane" I mumbled reluctantly, "Can you help me?".

"What's the magic word?" He said, spinning me the same annoying ass line for the millionth time.

If you couldn't already tell, Shane was not on my list of favorite people, and I liked everyone.