Chapter 30- I Spy

Ethan

I grinned in satisfaction at the sound of Marci's giggle of delight when I slid the duck tape covered snorkel goggles onto my face.

My so called "spy disguise" suctioned to my face and head, causing my hair to shoot up in a million different directions, hence the giggles.

My main goal currently was to distract Marci from her sister, whose sobs were echoing through the house, along with occasional reassurance from Johnny.

Johnny must have broken the news of her mother's miscarriage to her close to half an hour ago, because Shannon had broken down and hadn't stopped crying since.

Her cries clearly upset Marci, who had insisted that we go upstairs to check on her.

I assured her that Johnny had it handled, but she wasn't convinced, so we were currently sitting at the bottom of the staircase in case Shannon said something that Marci needed to hear.

We were currently "crafting".

I never thought that I would be down bad enough to make spy disguises with a girl, but I guess I was learning a lot about myself.

"Will Johnny's parents be mad that we're here when they get home?" Marci questioned softly when her laughs finally died down.

"Johnny's Ma won't be back until morning, I don't know if you'll still be here then, but I hope you are, because Mammy K will love you." I assured honestly, because Marci was a dream come true for Johnny's mother. "Johnny's father is a barrister, and his mam is a fashion designer, so they both travel a lot for work" I explained.

"Oh so they're rich rich" Marci joked, before smacking her hand over her mouth in regret. "Oh my God I'm so sorry, that so rude!" she gasped while I just laughed.

"Don't worry about it Marc', it can't be rude if it's right, and it can't be wrong in a house like this" I said, reaching for the roll of duck tape to work on my mask.

"Do you think we need gloves? You know because of fingerprints?" Marci asked genuinely, still focused on our spy plan on Shannon and Johnny.

"Do you think Johnny will print us?" I joked back, thoroughly amused by her concerns.

"I don't know? His father is a barrister isn't he? Oh my God! This is so a felony! Mr Kavanagh is going to lock me up!" Marci shouted as she began to hide our spy supplies.

"Well I guess we'll just have to make sure our disguises are perfect then, so he doesn't know who we are" I teased, grabbing her mask back from where she had hidden it.

"You mean so he doesn't know who I am, he already knows you, so you're so going to prison." she snapped back, gently reaching for her mask and I handed it to her along with a roll of duck tape.

Suddenly Johnny's bedroom door creaked open at the top of the staircase.

Marci's head whipped towards me and I stared straight back at her in shock.

"Shit"

She quickly scrambled to grab our goggles as we sprinted to the kitchen in a flood of giggles and duck tape.

★・・・・・・★

"Can you do a handstand?" I asked Marci curiously as she paced the kitchen.

We had long forgotten our spy games, though Marci still had her spy goggles over her eyes and mine were pushed up on my head.

While my goggles were black, like spy masks should be, Marci had said hers were "too boring" and had bedazzled it with pink rhinestones that we had definitely not stolen from Mammy K's fashion room.