Chapter 29- Legends

Marci

"Hey – it's little Shannon," Gibsie chirped, turning from his position at an impressive looking stove range to smile and wave a spatula at Shannon. "Did Johnny manage to coax you inside, or was it the smell of my fucking amazing cooking that drew you in?"

"It's raining," she mumbled, as if it wasn't apparent from her soaked state.

Gibs sighed heavily in satisfaction before speaking again "Hell, the River, the Hurler, and the Smiler, all three legends in one place, never thought it could be, and you're all here to witness my incredible cooking."

"You cooked one egg, Gibs, under my supervision," Joey, who was sitting on a stool at the center island, piped up. "You're no Darina Allen."

"Thank fuck for that, Lynchy." With the frying pan in his hand, Gibsie walked over to where my brother was sitting and slapped an egg onto his plate. "I like my man parts." Reaching across the counter, Joey retrieved the tea-cozy covered teapot and poured two cups of tea before swinging the pot in our direction. "Shan, Kav, tea?"

Shannon ignored him, probably unintentionally considering she was shivering frantically in the doorway still.

"Can I get you a towel or something?" Johnny offered Shannon in a low tone, but I still heard it

Frowning, he added, "You're soaked."

"Holy shit," Joey barked then, startling me. "What in the name of Jesus happened to you?" Setting the teapot down, he stood up and stalked towards Shannon Leaning closer, Joey took a whiff of her and then quickly backed away. "Jesus Christ, Shannon," he gagged. "What did you roll in – dog shit?"

"No!" she balked. "I don't smell."

"You don't smell?" Joey shot back mockingly. "You're so ripe my eyes are watering."

I turned back to Ethan and snickered at their stupid bickering.

"My dogs mauled her," Johnny quickly interjected in Shannon's defense. "They knocked her down outside and rolled all over her."

"Huh," Joey bit out. "Funny how my sister always seems to get mauled and knocked around when you're near her, Kavanagh."

Johnny's jaw ticked, but he didn't respond.

Turning his attention to Shannon, Joey said, "You need to get out of those wet clothes, Shan, before you get pneumonia, do you have something she can throw on?" Joey asked, looking to Johnny. "Or some bleach to mask that god-awful smell?" Johnny nodded slowly.

"Yeah, I can find something –"

"Or we can just leave?" Shannon offered, glaring at our brother, praying he would take the hint. "We should go home, Joey."

"You're not getting into my girlfriend's car smelling like that," Joey shot back.

"Don't be a dickhead," Shannon growled. "Take me home."

"You guys can't go home yet. We haven't had tea and chats," Gibsie piped up. "And I have scones baking in the oven."

"And I haven't had jelly's!" I defended.

"You baked scones?" Shannom asked, momentarily distracted. "You?"

"Yes, me," Gibsie shot back, looking slightly wounded. "I'll have you know that I'm a wonderful baker."

"Sorry," she quickly replied, not wanting to offend him. "You just don't strike me as a baker."

"Relax, I'm totally fucking with you," he laughed. "I have no idea what I'm doing." He pointed to the stove and said, "For all I know, those scones could be killers."