7: Waiting Impatiently

Germany was never a normal child, nor did he have a normal upbringing. Though he was young, he was able to realize it.

He always heard of stories, stories of fairies, dragons, witches and wizards, kings and queens, wicked people, pure children, and well rounded, connected families. But he didn't have one of those, and Germany knew that.

He never thought it was strange that he didn't have a papa or a mama. It was just him and his father, and that was okay.

His father didn't like reading books with children in them, nor did he seem to enjoy the tales of lost kingdoms or kings. But it was mostly the family oriented stories that he didn't enjoy reading.

Germany didn't really understand why, as he thought having siblings would be cool. And getting to live in a castle may just be cooler. But as he got older, he soon realized why.

He believed It was because he didn't have a papa, or a mama. Germany wasn't sure which one it was, his father never talked about it. But Germany still noticed it.

Wasn't he supposed to have two parents? Wasn't there supposed to be two? Where did his other one go? Why didn't he know anything about them? Why didn't his father speak of them?

Germany had many questions, but never had the guts to ask the older German about them.

And even today he still didn't, not even as he had aged. But the questions definitely became much more prominent in his mind.

Him and his father lived alone, in their own little stone house far from anyone else. They had everything they could need, a garden full of vegetables, a watering well, a comfortable, warm home to live in, and sometimes even livestock.

They were comfortable, and Germany always had something to entertain himself with.

But he wasn't allowed to leave the home unfortunately, which was something he could never understand.

His father was allowed to leave, to venture out and return with new things, but Germany wasn't allowed to.

At first, it was a rule that only adults could go out, then it was a thing for safety, then it was a rule he simply had to follow, and so on. So many excuses that Germany had always taken, but now he was getting tired of them.

He truly wanted an explanation, really he did. He wondered what was so dangerous about the outside world, and why his father seemed persistent in keeping him out of it.

There wasn't a problem with him going into their garden. Whether it was to help prepare it or not, his father didn't mind him going out there, as long as he didn't go past the gate that is.

He really hoped that he'd be able to leave soon, as he had recently turned sixteen, and surely that meant that he was old enough to leave the house.

At least that's what Germany thought, but of course his father felt different.

The older German seemed nervous, and skittish whenever Germany talked about the outside world.

His father covered up greatly before he went anywhere near the front or back door of the house. Even when he was in the garden he insisted on covering himself with his cloak.

Germany thought it was quite extra, especially since it could get quite hot outside.

But his father never budged. He never wanted the blinds opened, he never let anything stay unlocked, he didn't want to be near the windows, he didn't want Germany near the windows.

It was almost like he was afraid of the outdoors, or perhaps of something out there, but he had to go out sometimes of course, even if he didn't want to. He still had to get supplies for the two Germans.