18: Overlooked

Austria-Hungary hummed softly to himself, sitting on his bed as he always did.

He was going through old fabrics at the moment, boxes of crap that they had. Not only was he doing it because Weimar had asked him too, but he was also doing it because he was looking for something very, very special, and specific.

"Do you see anything over there dear?"

Reich lifted his dead from some boxes, looking as beautiful as ever despite his messy attire. "No mutter."

He stared down at a box confusingly for a moment, unsure exactly what he was looking for.

His mother wanted to show him some things, to give him some lasting memories of the other, before he would leave.

The young German had just turned eighteen. Yesterday specifically. And Weimar couldn't have been any less excited.

A tragic day it seemed to be, and a memorable one it was too. A quiet day, evening, and night. Reich couldn't sleep, as he yearned for one person and one person only. But he couldn't have him. Not yet.

Weimar wasn't home, he hadn't been home all night. Even when day hit he wasn't there, he wasn't home for hours upon hours and hours and hours.

Austria-Hungary was very quiet throughout the day, as he hummed softly to himself. Wishing his youngest son a simple happy birthday, but he had no gifts or sweets to give to the German.

Usually they would play games together on such days, but this wasn't really a birthday to celebrate in Reich's mind. Maybe for Soviet it was, but even that thought couldn't calm his worries.

His mother kept on persisting that Weimar would come home with some gift for him. But they hadn't seen Weimar at all today. From dusk to dawn he wasn't there.

There was no celebration that day. There was no sign of Weimar. No bad music. Or perhaps bread that was sweeter than normal. There was nothing but utterly, dark silence.

Reich couldn't sleep before his birthday hit, and he couldn't sleep after it either.

His mother slept fine under his rags, coughing every once in a while. While Reich listened to every breath that the other muttered.

Time was ticking on by, and there still, still, still wasn't any sign of that snarky brother of his.

Perhaps he had already found someone.

Reich shut his eyes, sighing to himself as he opened them again. Perhaps Weimar had already found someone to sell him too.

That thought didn't help Reich sleep at all. In fact it made his mind feel even more depressed and worried.

What if it wasn't Soviet? What if someone had gotten there first? But how would anyone even know about him? He's only really met Soviet.

Maybe Weimar was going to make him go out with him soon. To visit different suitors, to see who he could be sold off too.

Perhaps he could actually get an idea of what his life would be like there. Certainly it couldn't be too bad? Anyplace but here couldn't be that bad.But deep down Reich knew exactly what could make a place worse, and frankly he didn't want to think about that.

It made him feel anxious. It made his head hurt and his mind started to rumble with fear. What if it wasn't Soviet? What if the Russian had completely forgotten about him?

Reich shook his head briefly, thinking and thinking. It was going to be Soviet. It had to be Soviet. He would come here, and rescue the German from this place.