25: Hopeful Thinking

Germany got home much earlier than his father did.

That was a good thing, and Germany got settled in quickly, as he put his journal away and unpacked his bag in his room.

He wanted to do some housekeeping to make it really look like he had been home for the whole day.

Surely his father would still be nervous when he got back as he was practically petrified when he left.

Once the older German would return, Germany would put the goods away and his father could go rest up, as he really deserved a break after such an eventful day.

So Germany started getting out his father's little security stuff.

Most of the windows around the home were still boarded up or covered by curtains, so Germany took a moment to uncover at least a few of them to bring some light in. But he only did a few.

He ran around the large house for a while, cleaning up some things and sweeping each room.

Germany wasn't sure how his father got the old house. It was large, very large and had multiple rooms. But it was also very old, and rooms that were never used typically had spiders roaming around them, and cracks in the ceilings and walls.

Reich always made sure to cover them up, but not all the way, as he still wanted the house to seem abandoned, but for what reason Germany didn't know.

He didn't really pay much attention to those little things, as they never used those rooms anyways. But it was interesting to look around them, and to see what the previous homeowner had left behind.

Germany got the living room cleaned up, and made sure to dust off his father's old books. He had checked for bugs too, as he didn't want any of the books to be eaten by some little hungry critters.

Some of Germany's old books sat in the little library as well, many of them were fairytale books from his childhood.

Any book he didn't like his father had taken to trade or to sell, but Germany was okay with that as his father would just bring him a new book in replacement.

Germany kept the ones he liked to read in his room, but this little library had interesting stories in it sometimes.

A lot of German books mixed in with children's stories. And to Germany's surprise there were some Russian books hidden in the back as well.

He wasn't sure why they had them, as from his knowledge his father didn't know Russian.

But then again, he remembered Denmark saying something about Russians at some point. Maybe he could ask the man more about them. He did know what the language looked like, as he saw it around town a lot.

After getting all the books cleared and the room cleaned, Germany headed off for the kitchen as he wanted to get some things prepared for dinner, although he may not have too depending on when his father would get home, but Germany wouldn't know when that would be.

Either way, he was still going to get these places cleaned up, as he waited for his father's return.

Speaking of his father, he hadn't been doing too well since he had left his home.

Reich couldn't stop himself once he started walking, if he paused or got distracted at all he would just become consumed by all his worrying thoughts.

He froze when he finally saw the village come into view, and quickly hid behind a tree when he noticed some guards walking around its borders.

Reich was so damn tempted to just turn around and head back home, but Germany would be so disappointed in him.

The German would spend the next twenty minutes pacing around as he thought about what he should do.