39 ● Deprived

Everything about you makes sense

“Don't do anything. I will have people do things.” Shuraim forced Jannat to rest as she terribly fell sick last night. He was working on the study on the ground floor. “You need to have this soup.”

“I don't want to eat anything.” Jannat fell straight on her back in the bed as soon as she heard Shuraim entering their bedroom. “You had nothing since morning!” She pretended to close her eyes, like she used to do when was not married. She acted like she was already sleeping.

“Get up, Jannat. You need to have this.” She shut her eyes, sealed, like she was wincing in pain like always. “You are the worst at pretending.” he says, keeping the tray on the side table. “Please… I don't want anything.” She tossed in her bed, her back to him. She covered herself in the comfort of a quilt.

“Just this soup, please.”

“Daneen gave me fruits. I have had it.”

“No way! You ate fruits? Stop lying. It was just one banana.”

“I can't seem to have anything.”

“Just this soup okay?” He dragged her and made her sit, keeping the tray on her lap, he started feeding her. For just an instance, Jannat saw the old Shuraim in his eyes. The way he used to care for her, the way he used to love her, the way he was head over hills for her. Then, she remembered what Daneen, their cook, told her about her sickness. That she should do a pregnancy test. Her heart felt a wave of emotions and fear topped it all.

“What are you thinking?”

“Nothing.” She says, gulping the soup. Noticing how considerate he seemed now, Jannat thought to use this chance. “Shuraim?” She called him and he looked up at her with raised eyebrows. “What?”

“Can I… can I talk… with Mummy Papa? I miss them.”

He smiles at her and nods. He took his phone out and dialed their number. “Can I call them from my number?”

“Your phone is inactive. So the SIM has been canceled.”

She took what she was granted with and waited for her parents to take her call. Shuraim got up and went out while she talked. She was shocked that he was trusting her with his mobile. Maybe just because she is sick? Or is he testing her?

“Hello?”

“Assalamualaikum.” Jannat greeted the receiver. “Walaikum assalam, Jannat?” Ahad’s voice sounded doubtful but he knew it was his daughter. “Yes papa.”