Chapter 10: Grams

Emma's POV

After school, Bonnie took me to her grandmother's house. She said that she may know what I am. If not, there could be something in one of the grimoires. I was excited! Finally, someone who might be able to help me figure out what I am! Bonnie knocked on the front door. The woman who answered had darker skin, much like Bonnie's, and short, curly hair. "Hey Grams!" Bonnie said in greeting.

The woman sent Bonnie a warm smile. "Hello Bonnie. Who's your friend?" the woman inquired.

"This is Emma. I wanted to introduce her to you. I think you might be able to help her." Bonnie replied.

"Hello, it's nice to meet you!" I said with a smile. I held out my hand for her to shake. I was eager to see if this woman could help.

I examined her reaction as she took my hand. The moment our hands made contact, her smile turned into a face of slight shock, which then morphed into confusion.

"I can see why you brought her to meet me..." the woman said, looking at Bonnie. She turned her gaze towards me and withdrew her hand. "And what did you need help with?" she questioned.

"I was hoping that maybe you can help me figure out what exactly I am and why I have these powers." I responded nervously.

The woman nodded and stepped aside to let us in. We walked inside the house and I followed Bonnie to the couch. The woman came in and sat beside Bonnie on the couch. "Now, I'm not entirely sure what you are; I would think your family would be able to answer that for you." she paused before continuing. "But, if you had a way to contact your family, you wouldn't be here right now, would you." she finished.

I nodded once to confirm her suspicions. I was losing my hope on figuring out what I was. She already openly stated that she didn't know what kind of creature I was.

"From what I could feel, you have a connection to nature, much like us witches. I would assume that long ago, your kind would have been an ally to the witches. Witches are servants of nature. What I would like to know is, how are you connected to nature?" the woman asked.

After a moment of deciding how to briefly explain what I could do, I nodded to myself and responded. "I can manipulate the elements, for example..." I trailed off and I leaned forward and lit a candle on the table in front of us with my finger. After a couple of seconds, I flicked my hand towards the flame to let out a small gust of air to put out the candle.

"Bonnie, I believe you have found yourself a very powerful friend." the woman said. She turned towards me once again. "You must tell no one of your power. If the wrong people find out about the power you hold, you and the people around you could get hurt, or even killed." she said in a serious tone. Well, that's worrying.