Chapter 38: Soulmates

Emma's POV

Elijah led us out the back of the Lockwood mansion. "So as you've seen, nothing can kill an Original. Not sun, not fire, not even a werewolf bite. Only the wood from one tree. A tree my family made sure burned." Elijah informed.

"That's where the white ash for the dagger comes from." Elena said.

"Yes. The witches won't allow anything truly immortal to walk the earth. Every creature needs to have a weakness in order to maintain balance." Elijah said.

"So the sun can't kill an Original. Why is Klaus so obsessed with breaking the sun and moon curse?" Elena questioned.

"Right. "The Curse of the Sun and the Moon'. It's all so...biblical sounding, don't you think?" Elijah asked while cracking a smile. I was confused.

"What's so funny?" Elena questioned.

"Let's just say that the Aztecs weren't the ones who actually drew the Aztec sketches. The one who did that was my brother." Elijah told us.

"I don't understand. So Klaus drew the Aztec sketches about the curse?" Elena asked.

"Roman scrolls, African tribal etchings, and any other culture or continent we felt like planting it in." Elijah said.

"But why?" I asked.

"Easiest way to discover the existence of a doppelgänger or to get your hands on some long, lost moonstone is to have every single member of two warring species on the lookout." Elijah said.

"So it's not Aztec at all?" Elena asked.

"'The Curse of the Sun and the Moon'...is fake. It doesn't exist." Elijah dropped on us before starting to walk away, leaving us frozen still in shock.

"What?!" Elena and I yelled once we recovered from the shock. We chased after him.

"Klaus and I faked the sun and moon curse dating back over a thousand years." Elijah informed us.

"But if there's no curse..." Elena started.

"There is a curse, Just not that one. The real one's much worse. It's a curse placed on Klaus." Elijah said.

"What are you talking about?" Elena asked.

"Klaus has been trying to break it for the past thousand years. And you are his only hope." Elijah told Elena. Elena's phone can be heard vibrating in Elijah's pocket.

"What is this curse?" Elena asked. Elena's phone kept on vibrating.

"Your phone will not stop its incessant buzzing. Answer it, please." Elijah said, annoyed. He handed Elena her phone.

Elena answered the call. "Stefan...what's wrong?" Elena started, looking worried. "No. No, no, no, no. Okay, I'll be right there." she said before she hung up.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Klaus went after Jenna. We have to go to her." Elena said.

"I'm afraid that wasn't part of today's arrangement." Elijah told us.

"She's family, Elijah. We have to. We'll be back. You have my word." Elena begged.

"One of you goes, and one of you stays to ensure the other actually comes back." Elijah said.

Elena looked at me with pleading eyes. "You can go. I'll be fine here. Help Jenna." I said.

"Thank you." Elena whispered. She ran off to her car. I watched as she drove off, leaving me with the Original vampire.

When her car had disappeared into the distance, I sat down on one of the benches scattered about in the yard. Elijah joined me. "I actually wanted to talk to you about something, alone. Something I was going to talk to you about before Elena and her gang killed me." Elijah started.

"What did you want to talk about?" I asked.

"First of all, I want to ask you, do you believe in soulmates?" he asked.

I looked at him confused. Soulmates? Why would he want to talk about something like this? "Um, well, personally, I believe that soulmates are a myth. But the idea of it seems nice" I started as a small smile crept onto my face. "Having someone just right for you. Someone who will love you unconditionally."

"Well, in the supernatural world, such a thing actually exists. Although somewhat rare, some supernatural beings do have a soulmate." Elijah said.

"Supernatural creatures, so that includes witches and werewolves?" I asked.

Elijah nodded. "Vampires are the ones who usually find their soulmate, seeing as they can walk the earth far longer than any witch or werewolf, but I have heard of a few cases where witches and werewolves find their other half." Elijah informed.

"Which leads me into what I really wanted to talk to you about." Elijah told me as he turned towards me.

Elijah took my hand in his. I felt warm tingles shoot up my arm. He looked me in the eye as he told me this next part. "Do you feel that? This feeling you have, the tingling feeling, I have it, too. It's an indication of a soulmate bond."

"Wait, what?" I whispered out. I was afraid of what he was about to say. This can't be right. There's no way he's about to say what I'm thinking.

Elijah held both of my hands in his grasp, having the unmistakable tingling feeling run up both of my arms. "Emma, we're soulmates."