Chapter 23: Goodbye Trevor

Emma's POV

Elijah was the first one to make a move. He made slow steps towards me. "And who might you be, my dear?" he asked, stopping right in front of me.

"Emma." I whispered out, barely being able to meet his eye. My heart was beating out of my chest.

"Emma..." he said, as if testing it out. He hummed before speaking up again. "We have a long journey ahead of us. We should be going."

"Please, don't let him take us." Elena pleaded with Rose.

"One last piece of business, then we're done." Elijah said, turned around, stalking towards a trembling Trevor.

"I've waited so long for this day, Elijah. Truly very sorry." Trevor said while Elijah slowly walked around him, like a predator.

"Well, no, your apology is not necessary." Elijah said in an eerily calm voice.

"Yes. Yes, it is. You trusted me with Katerina, and I failed you." Trevor responded, still trembling.

"Well, yes, you are the guilty one. Rose aided you because she was loyal to you. That I honor." Elijah said as he stopped walking around Trevor, turning towards him. "Where was your loyalty?"

"I beg your forgiveness." Trevor whispered.

"So granted." Elijah responded. A moment passed before Elijah quickly beheaded him with his own hand. I gasped and stepped back. Rose cried out as she started an advance towards Elijah. "Don't. Rose. Now that you are free." Elijah warned, stopping Rose in her tracks. Rose cried quietly. "Come." Elijah said, turning towards us. No, Stefan and Damon weren't here yet.

"No, what about the moonstone?" Elena quickly asked, trying to buy time.

"What do you know about the moonstone?" Elijah questioned.

"I know that you need it, a-and I know where it is." Elena stated.

"Yes." Elijah said, telling her to go on.

"I can help you get it." Elena said.

"Tell me where it is." Elijah demanded quietly.

"It doesn't work that way." Elena responded.

Elijah took a step towards Elena. "Are you negotiating with me?" Elijah asked, looking almost amused. He turned his head towards Rose.

"It's the first I've heard of it." Rose recovered enough to say.

Elijah turned back to Elena, staying silent for a moment. He glanced down at her necklace. "What is this vervain doing around your neck?" he asked before ripping the necklace off of her. He grabbed the back of Elena's head, forcing her to look him in the eye. "Tell me where the moonstone is."

"In the tomb underneath the church ruins." Elena said robotically. Wait, Katherine is still alive? I thought Stefan and Damon had killed her. Whatever, she can't hurt anyone if she's trapped down there. That's all that matters.

"What is it doing there?" Elijah asked, continuing the compulsion.

"It's with Katherine." Elena responded without hesitation.

"Interesting." Elijah said before stopping the compulsion. Suddenly, we heard glass breaking from somewhere in the house. "What is that?" Elijah asked. It's Stefan and Damon. It has to be. Thank god.