Chapter 25: Nightmares

Emma's POV

I had a hard time falling asleep that night. Hearing something like that right before I went to sleep was not what I needed. I managed to get about three hours of sleep, if you could even call it that. I had a nightmare that the Originals killed my friends. I shot up from the couch.

Once I calmed down enough to realize that it was just a bad dream, I hugged my knees to my chest. Tears escaped my eyes. I've already lost three pairs of parents, I can't lose anybody else! I won't!

After a while, I dried the tears and decided to get up for the day. The sun was just barely starting to rise, but there was no way I was going back to sleep after that nightmare.

A couple days passed. I wasn't having the best time sleeping. The previous night, I got less than four hours of sleep, and the nightmares didn't let up. Unfortunately, Elena noticed the heavy bags under my eyes. I admitted to her that I was having trouble sleeping, but I reassured her that it'll probably fix itself in a few days.

It was evening when Elena and I exited her room. We made it downstairs to find Jenna rummaging through one of the closets. "Hey, what are you doing?" Elena asked.

"Oh, perfect timing!" Jenna said as she handed a box over to Elena.

"Um, what is this stuff?" Elena asked.

"Your mom's files from the historical society." Jenna replied as she handed another box over to me.

"I got roped into helping Mrs.Lockwood. And by roped, I mean very excited to participate." Jenna said as she closed the closet door. Elena and I both gasped as we saw Elijah standing on the other side of the door. Elena had told me about her little suicide trip to Richmond, so I knew that a normal stake wouldn't be able to kill Elijah.

Elijah smiled as he saw Elena and I. "Hey, I'm Elijah."

"Elijah's in town doing research on Mystic Falls." Jenna said, taking the box that Elena was holding.

"It's a pleasure." Elijah said, shaking Elena's hand. He sent me a smile, unable to shake my hand due to me holding the box Jenna handed me.

"So, you know, you're welcome to stay here and rummage through this stuff, or Elena, Emma and I could help you load it into your car." Jenna suggested to Elijah.

"Yeah, or I could get someone to pick it up tomorrow." Elijah replied.

Jenna hummed. "Also a good plan."

"Thank you so much for inviting me into your home, Jenna. And Elena, Emma, I hope to see you two again sometime soon." Elijah said.

I quickly moved to the kitchen to set the box on the table before racing upstairs. I saw Elena already knocking on Jermemy's door. Elena was about to reach for the handle when I reached her.

As Elena was about to open the door to Jeremy's room, Elijah rushed by and stopped her. He put a finger in front of his lips to tell us to not let Jeremy know that he was there. Jeremy opened the door soon after. "What is it?" he asked.

"Um, Jenna was just asking me to get you to help her with the boxes." Elena lied.

"Oh, yeah." Jeremy mumbled as he made his way out of his room to do just that.

"That's a wise choice." Elijah commented once Jeremy was out of earshot.

"What do you want?" Elena nervously asked.

"I think it's time you and I had a little chat." Elijah said to Elena.

"I'll go help Jenna and Jeremy with the boxes." I said, sensing that Elijah wanted a private conversation with Elena. I made my way downstairs.

I helped Jenna and Jeremy move all of the old boxes out of the closet. I didn't mention a word of what was happening to Jeremy. He didn't need to be worried. I knew Elijah wouldn't try to hurt Elena tonight.

A few minutes later, Elena came downstairs. She approached me and told me that Elijah wanted to speak to me and that he was waiting in her room. I let out a shaky breath and gave her a curt nod.

I walked up to Elena's room. I stopped in front of the door. What could he possibly want from me? I took a deep breath to calm myself and walked in.