Chapter 32: DJ

Emma's POV

Just like Caroline said, after classes were over, she took me dress shopping. After looking around for about an hour, I picked out a plain, light blue sixties style dress that went down to my knees, while the sleeves went down to my elbows. For accessories I picked out a white pearl necklace along with a white bow to tie into my hair.

By the time dinner rolled around, I was already at home. I told Elena that I was going to store my dress in her closet before going downstairs to make myself some food.

Soon, the day of the dance was upon us. The halls were buzzing with excitement. I heard people talking about their outfits as I passed by. When I was putting my backpack in my locker, I was approached by Caroline. "Hey Emma, I need to ask you something real quick."

"Alright, what is it?" I questioned back.

"So, the DJ I had for the dance bailed last night. We still have the equipment from the carnival, and I was wondering if you could maybe come to the dance early to help me set up..." Caroline asked.

"Fine. When do the doors open for the dance? I should be there about an hour and a half early to set everything up and do a sound check." I agreed.

"The doors open at six tonight." Caroline stated.

"Alright, I'll be there a little after four." I said as I closed my locker. As Caroline turned to walk away, a sudden thought hit me. "Wait!" I exclaimed as I caught up to the blond. "When you got the call last night, did you make a playlist of sixties songs for the dance?" I asked.

"...no..." Caroline admitted.

I froze. This was a major problem. I could have just used a playlist from YouTube or Spotify, but then I would have to deal with a bunch of ads and I couldn't have that. I didn't know how many sixties songs the computers from the carnival had on them, but I was pretty sure it wasn't enough. That would mean we would have to rely on whatever was already on the computers and any CDs we could find. I voiced my concerns to Caroline.

"Caroline, I need you to find as many CDs with sixties music on them as you can and bring them in tonight when I set up the equipment." I told her.

Caroline quickly nodded. "I will."

I made my way to my first class. Before class started, I sent texts to Bonnie, Elena, Stefan, Damon, and even Enzo telling them about the DJ situation and to find as many sixties CDs as they can and to give them to me before the dance. I didn't wait for any responses. The bell rang and class was about to start.

My first class went by without a hitch. My second class was American History with Alaric. I walked in and immediately felt like something was off. I didn't know why, but something wasn't quite right. Despite the strange feeling, I took my usual seat in the first row.

The bell rang and Alaric walked in. He took a quick look around the classroom. Once his eyes landed on me, he looked to be in a state of shock. I was confused. I didn't know why he was so surprised. He knew I was in this class and knew where I usually sat. He seemed to shake himself out of his shock and started class.

Usually, he'd have a lesson plan for the day. But today, it looked like he hardly even knew what he was doing. He was all over the place. On second, he'd be talking about the late sixties, then he'd be talking about something random that happened in the early sixties the next. Maybe everything going on with Jenna was taking a toll on him.

During lunch, I sat with Elena and Bonnie. We were talking about the dance coming up tonight. I told them how stressful it was to put together a playlist of songs I hardly knew. A playlist that had to last at least five hours. I also reminded them to look for CDs I could use for tonight.

While we were talking, this girl I've never talked to before came up to our table. "Hey, Emma, there you are!" she said as I gave her a confused look. "Okay, this is gonna sound freaky, but this totally hot guy just asked me to ask you if you're going to the dance tonight."

Huh, well this is new... "Tell him if he wants to take me to the dance to ask me himself, and that he'll have to help me make a playlist for tonight." I responded.

"Could you at least meet him? He'll be at the dance tonight! Look for him! His name is Klaus!" the girl said.

My blood instantly ran cold. Klaus!? He's here?! Hoping I heard her wrong, I asked her to tell me his name again. "I'm sorry. Um, what did you just say?"

"His name's Klaus. I know the name's stupid, but I swear he's hot!" she said.

"Where is he, is he here?" Bonnie asked.

"I don't know." the girl said.

"Compelled." I muttered.

"But he wants to know if you'll save him the last dance. How cute is that?" she said before she walked away.

"I'm calling Stefan." Elena said as she put her phone to her ear.

The last class came around and I got a text from Damon. I was required to attend a meeting at their house. Are you fucking kidding me? I have shit I have to do!

Elena and I both made our way to their house right after school. We walked in to realize we were the first ones there after the Salvatore brothers. We still had to wait for Bonnie and Alaric to make an appearance.

"I hope you know I have to make my way back to the school in less than an hour, and I still have to get ready before then." I mentioned. "Did you get my text from earlier?" I asked Damon.

He sped out of the room and returned seconds later with a stack of fifteen CDs. He handed them to me and I looked them over with a quick 'thank you.'

While we were waiting for the rest of the team to arrive, I looked at the list of songs that was usually on the back of CD cases. A few of the CDs were of The Beatles, one of the 'Hairspray' soundtrack, a couple albums of The Beach Boys, and some other odd CDs with sixties music.

After about fifteen minutes, Alaric still hadn't shown up. "Can we start this already? We can fill Alaric in later." I said, eager to leave to get ready.

"Fine..." Damon said.