Chapter 39: Feelings

Emma's POV

"We're...soulmates?" I asked.

Elijah nodded. I was in a state of absolute shock. Not only do soulmates exist, but I'm mated to someone. An Original vampire at that. What? I don't know how to deal with this...

I opened my mouth to speak, but then immediately closed it. The shock I was in wouldn't let me speak. My mind was still trying to process this impossible situation.

"Emma..." Elijah started after a while.

I shook my head at him. "Elijah...I can't...I...I don't..." I was struggling to find the right words. My mind was too busy trying to sort out what exactly I was feeling. Am I scared of having this type of bond with the Original? Am I sad that I would eventually have to leave my friends? Am I happy that I found someone who will love me no matter what?

The only feeling that was sure about was the confusion. The future I thought I had was completely shattered. I had no idea what was going to happen. I didn't know why the world paired me with the Original.

"Do I have to leave my friends?" I suddenly asked. My head was still spinning, but this was one of the most important questions on my mind.

Elijah sighed. "After this whole situation with Klaus, I don't plan on sticking around this town, and I would very much like it if you would come with me. But, I also know that you see your friends as your family. I won't force you to come with me. As long as I'm sure that your friends will protect you while I'm gone, I will allow you to live out the rest of your teenage years here among your friends if that's what you wish. I will give you a way to contact me if you need anything from me. Eventually, I will come back and ask you again to come with me." he told me.

At least I won't be forced to leave immediately... I stayed silent. I wanted to ask what exactly a life with him would look like. I wanted to know if and when he planned on turning me. I didn't even know if I wanted to turn. I knew that these questions would be answered at some point in the future. But do I even want this?

"I don't know what to say. I don't even know what to feel. I'm torn." I admitted. "Part of me doesn't want anything to do with this. But another part is...almost excited to go on this adventure with you. I just...I'm afraid of what the others will think. After Katherine killed my previous parents, I made a vow to myself that I wouldn't lose anyone else. And if they find out that you're my soulmate, I'm afraid I will. I don't want to lose my friends. Whether it be losing them to death, or losing their trust."

When I didn't hear a reply from Elijah, I chanced a look his way. His expression darkened a bit. Does he not like the fact that I might not leave with him right away?

After a few more seconds of tense silence, he finally spoke up. "Katherine...killed your parents?" he asked in a dark tone.

His harsh tone scared me a bit, even though it wasn't necessarily aimed at me. "Um, yeah, she did." I said a bit shakily.

"Rest assured, if Klaus hasn't killed her yet, I will make sure she pays dearly for what she did to you." Elijah said, his voice still carrying a dark tone.

I looked down. I didn't know how to respond to that. I didn't know if I even should. So, I stayed silent.

I felt him gently grab my hand, once again sending tingles up my arm. With his other hand, he lifted my chin so that I could look him in the eye. "Thank you, for being open and honest with how you feel." he told me.

I sent him a weak smile as he released my chin. At that moment, I started having another internal debate. Should I tell him about my powers? I mean, he'll find out eventually, right?

With a sigh, I solidified my decision. I was going to tell him. "On the subject of honesty, I suppose I should tell you something else." I started.

He looked at me. "And that would be..?" he inquired.

I took a deep breath. I brought forth my fire manipulation ability. I brought one of my hands up. When I opened it, flames emanated from my palm. After a few seconds, I closed my hand, extinguishing the flame. Elijah looked at me in wonder.

"I have a set of abilities. I've never met anyone else with this particular type of power. I'm not a witch, but since my abilities are connected to nature, I could be something related to a witch. But that's all I've managed to gather." I told him.

"Wouldn't your family know what you are?" Elijah questioned.

"My birth parents died when I was three." I told him.

"I'm sorry to hear that." he apologized.

"It's okay, it happened a long time ago." I said.

"If you don't mind me asking, at what age did you discover this power?" he asked me.

"I discovered my powers at the age of twelve. I've been experimenting with my powers ever since. I'll have to show you everything I can do one of these days." I said with a slight smirk.

"I'll be looking forward to it." he said with a smile.

Before the conversation could progress any further, Elena's car could be seen pulling up. Looks like this conversation has to end.

A cool breeze blew by. I shivered slightly. "Why don't we continue this inside?" Elijah suggested.

I nodded. I followed inside. He led me to a room with a fireplace. He quickly got to work with lighting it. I took a seat right in front of it.

Once he got the fireplace lit, Elena walked into the room. "How's Jenna?" I asked her.

"A little shaken up and confused, but otherwise okay." Elena responded. I gave her a slight nod.

"Welcome back." Elijah said.

"So tell me, what's Klaus' curse?" Elena immediately asked.

Elijah gestured to the seat right next to me. "Please." he said as he sat in a seat near Elena and I.

"My family was quite close, but Klaus and my father did not get on too well. When we became vampires, we discovered the truth. Klaus was not my father's son. My mother had been unfaithful many years before. This was her darkest secret. Klaus is from a different bloodline. Of course, when my father discovered this, he hunted down and he killed my mother's lover and his entire family. Not realizing, of course, that he was igniting a war between species that rages until this day." Elijah told us.

"A war between species?" Elena questioned.

The vampires...and the werewolves." Elijah revealed.

So that's how the war started? And it never ended? Talk about holding a grudge...

So that left me to wonder, what kind of curse could be placed on someone with a relation to two different supernatural species?