Chapter 36: Waking Elijah

Elena's POV

After a video call with Bonnie, I felt a lot better. But after everything that had happened, I wasn't feeling confident in our ability to take on Klaus. If only we knew what he was going to do next. That was why I quietly started to make my way down to the cellars. There was one person who seemed to know a lot about Klaus. If we could get him to trust us again, we might actually stand a chance against Klaus.

"Elena?" I heard from behind me. I turned around to see Emma standing there. She had changed out of her sixties outfit. She wore one of the spare outfits I had stored here. "What are you doing? Are you going down into the cellars?" she asked. I opened my mouth to say something only to find that I had no words to speak. No way to explain the situation. She wouldn't be able to understand why I needed to wake him. "Are you going to wake him? Wake Elijah?" she asked.

I took a deep breath and nodded. There was no use in lying to her. "I'll go down with you." she said.

"You're okay with it?" I asked, confused.

"I never wanted to kill him in the first place." she responded.

We made our way down to the cell Elijah's body was being kept in. Without skipping a beat, Emma walked right in and pulled the dagger from Elijah's chest. When that was done, she walked over and handed me the dagger. I gave her a questioning look. "You told me you were the last one to kill him. If it's you that gives him the dagger, then he might be willing to trust you." Emma explained. I nodded at her and took the dagger.

We spent hours in that cell. Morning had come, and he still hadn't woken up. I was beyond bored, but I knew that I had to be here when he woke up. Emma was still here, too. She had stayed down here with me the entire night. We were both tired, and we both probably looked the part.

All of the sudden, Emma seemed to snap at attention, eyes staring at Elijah. He didn't look any different. Still looked completely dead. But a moment later, his back arched. He was finally waking up. He opened his eyes, panting. "Elijah." I said, trying to gain his attention.

"Katerina..." he mumbles out.

"Elijah! It's me, it's Elena." I said.

"Oh, my God." He breathes out.

He shuts his eyes for a moment. I inched closer to him. He spasms before getting up and gasping for air. Emma and I knew that this wasn't normal. I glanced over at Emma. She looked like she was getting worried. "I can't...I can't breathe! What's happening to me?!" Elijah gasped out.

He rushed over to the door but slammed into the doorway. Emma ran over to him to hold him up. She helped him out of the cell. I followed. "I can't...I can't be in this house." Elijah managed to get out between his gasping.

When we made it to the stairs, it hit me. "You're not invited in."

"I need to get out of here." he managed to say before gasping again. When the door leading to outside was in sight, Elijah rushed to it.

When he made it outside, he collapsed to the ground and was panting for breath. When he looked our way, he got up and tried rushing to us, only to be stopped by the barrier. "What happened?" he growled out.

I shushed him and pointed upstairs. I didn't need Stefan and Damon to know what I was doing. "I'll tell you. Not here. Can I trust you?" I whispered out.

"Can I trust you?" Elijah whispered back. He has a fair point. I was the one who shoved the dagger into his chest. Speaking of... I handed the dagger over to him. He took it and put it in a pocket on the inside of his ruined suit. That seemed to help the situation.

"I'll go grab you some blood bags." Emma mumbled out quietly before retreating back out of the room. I led Elijah out to my car. I sat behind the wheel while Elijah made himself comfortable in the passenger seat.

Moments later, Emma joined us in the car. She handed Elijah three blood bags. Once we were all settled, I started the car and drove away from the boarding house.

Once I was sure that we were somewhere Stefan and Damon wouldn't find us, I pulled over and put the car in park. I looked over at Elijah. "You look better." I stated.

"Where did you get the dagger?" he asked.

"We'll tell you everything." Emma nodded at my statement. "But we have to work together, Elijah. I need your word." I said.

"Your ability to make demands has long passed." Elijah stated.

"No demands. We're offering you help. And in return, we want yours." I compromised.

"And why should I even consider this?" Elijah questioned.

"The same reason you haven't killed us yet. You need our help to kill Klaus. And we need you." I said.

"No, I haven't killed you because I need you alive. I haven't killed Emma because she hasn't made any moves against me." Elijah corrected.

Before I could think of a response, my phone buzzed. It was Stefan. I answered the call and put it on speaker. "Where are you? Are you okay?" Stefan's voice rang through the phone.

"Yes, I'm fine." I responded.

"Where's Elijah?" Stefan asked.

"He's right here." I replied.

"Where? I'm on my way." Stefan said, clearly worried.

"No Stefan, Elijah, Emma and I need some time to talk." I told him.

"Wait, Emma is with you?" Stefan asked. "Never mind that. Listen to me. He can't be trusted, he'll use you to get to Klaus."

"Elijah is a noble man, Stefan. He lives by a code of honor. We can trust him. He knows that it'd be incredibly stupid to betray him again. By removing the dagger, Emma and I have proven ourselves." I said, looking at Elijah.

"You two can't do this by yourselves." Stefan said.

"It's our decision, Stefan. Please respect it. And make sure that Damon doesn't do anything stupid. I'll be in touch." I said before ending the call.