Chapter 32

“Lola! That must be Lola, Mama!”

Our doorbell rang and I knew that it would be Mom.

Ngumiti ako kay Luca at sabay kaming naglakad palapit sa pintuan para buksan ito. And when I opened it, it was indeed Mom.

“Lola!” Luca immediately rushed and hugged her thighs.

Mama chuckled at what he did and hugged him back.

I looked at Mom and noticed how she aged these past years. But still, she aged gracefully. Ilang taon rin kaming hindi nagkita pero…alam kung may nagbago na sa akin.

“Ma…” The way I uttered the word felt unfamiliar.

She looked at me and hugged me next. And there was no warmth. Hindi ko na maramdaman ang dating init ng pakikitungo ko sa kanya. It felt foreign and cold.

I patted her back lightly at kaagad rin kaming bumitaw sa isa’t-isa.

Alam ko namang walang magbabago sa relasyon namin. I am expecting nothing from her, and I am just thankful that she took care of Brianna, which is infact a natural obligation from her, and requires no demand at all.

“How was your flight?” She enthusiastically asked Luca.

“It was fine, Lola! Nakakatakot po but I’m fine.”

Mom chuckled at his answer and kissed his cheeks repeatedly which made Luca giggle too.

Pumasok kaming tatlo sa loob at umupo sa may sofa. Luca immediately sat beside her while I sat on the single seater sofa after providing for our refreshment.

“How are you Liberty?” She is smiling at me but I can’t just get myself to act like before.

“Maayos po, nagtatrabaho na po ako next week.” I simply responded.

She nodded at me and looked at Luca beside her. Hinawakan niya ang balikat nito at hinalikan ang pisngi nito.

“Can you go to your room for a little while, Apo? You’re Mama and I will need to talk about something important.”

Luca smiled at her and nodded his head. Pagkatapos ay tumakbo na ito papasok sa silid namin. Nasanay na rin kasi siya sa ganitong sitwasyon lalo noong nasa States kami kapag nag uusap kami ni Ejay sa mga kasong hawak namin.

Upon closing our bedroom's door, Mama sighs heavily as she looks at me.

"Who's the father of Luca? Wala ka bang balak na buuin ang pamilya mo, Liberty?"

Umiling kaagad ako sa kanya, and now, the disappointment on her face says it all.

"That's very unfortunate for Luca...does he know the identity of his father?"

Umiling muli ako. "Wala po akong balak na subukan pang buuin ang meron kami. I am fine with Luca...at hindi rin po matatanggap ng Tatay niya na may anak siya sa akin." I truthfully stated.

She shook her head lightly, clearly disappointed with my answer.

"So you entered a relationship with no security at all. Pinapahirapan mo ang bata, Liberty."

Hindi ako nagpakita ng kahit anong emosyon. And first of all, she doesn't have the right to utter those words to me. She doesn't know what she's talking about.

"Bakit Ma? Gusto mo bang buuin ko ang pamilya ko?" I asked casually. "I am sure that the father won't accept Luca...and it is clear to me. Ayoko lang masaktan ang anak ko at umasa sa huli."

"At least let them meet---"

"What's the purpose of letting them meet if he won't accept him in the end? Masasaktan lang si Luca." I strongly disagree with her unfinished statement.