9

It was the smell of fresh air that awoke him, a crisp sweet air. A smell he had not had the joy of having since he was a little boy. Fluttering his eyes open, he was puzzled by the sight above him, the domed ceiling in the style of years gone by, décor that only museums displayed now.

Struggling to understand what on earth happened, he rubbed a calloused hand over his eyes hoping the motion would alert his body to what took place. Nothing came to mind. Then out of the corner of his eye he noticed a wisp of gold hair belonging to a woman sitting in a chair across the room.

Shooting up from the couch he was laying on, he fumbled over himself and crashed to the ground. He grunted as his pot belly cushioned his fall, the woman sitting in her chair stifling a small giggle behind her fingers. She was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen, her long creamy legs crossed at the ankles running up before being tucked underneath a pale blue dress, the dress hugging more delicate curves of her lithe form.

He gulped, noticing her shoulders bare as the collar of the dress wrapped high around her neck framing a face he would never a forget. He had seen that face before, as a child when he was in school but he couldn't peg it. It was then that it hit him, "You-you...I can't believe....you're her aren't you?"

It was rushed and stumbled out, he was tripping all over his words understanding who he was sitting in the room with. He had such the school boy crush her as a child.

The woman smiled brightly, "I'm not sure what you mean, but my name is Caroline. Why don't you tell me yours?"

"Troy Fischer, reporter for the United," he shot out in one breath.

He knew his mouth was hanging open but he didn't care, the awe of the moment was too strong. She existed- if she existed then that meant her mate was alive as well, the hybrid. Troy scratched his balding head in wonderment.

"You're alive? I thought everyone had died out after the last war. I mean you are the reason, I mean to say is..."

Caroline's smiled dropped a little, standing up from the chair the train of her dress trailing behind her. She crossed the room towards the glass wall on the far side, gazing out at the world outside the room. Troy followed behind her too lost to do anything else.

He followed her gaze, finally realizing where he was. The world outside was nothing but blue sky and white clouds, peaceful and serene. There was no sign of land, no sign of the city, and no sign of the utter destruction below them. Light glinted off the chrome metal outside; ships flying in and out of the cloud bank from the dark of space above to the crowed cities below. Only the wealthiest of people could afford to live this high up, only they could afford the clean air and luxury. Anyone else who wanted to have the experience of clean air had to leave Earth for terra formed colonies across space and even that was expensive for most.

But she only looked to be about eighteen, no more than twenty at most, the light catching her face and reflecting beautiful skin that did not know harshness of the world below.

"It's rude to stare," she commented, not looking at him, her eyes still fixated on some speck in the distance.

"But you are so young looking? How can you afford this place?" he asked. He knew the answers but that did not stop him from asking.

Caroline stiffened, lips drawing in a tight line. "Do not be fooled by appearances."

Troy nodded; it really was her, queen of the vampires, the last remaining queen of Earth. Troy scratched his head again, trying to remember his history from grade school. Vampires had come into power after the twenty-eight century after they saved the world from the immortal Silas.