26

Anyone a on stranger tides fan...

Klaus dragged himself to the edge of the pool, sweat beaded on his forehead, his life slipping away as the blood seeped out of the wound. In an effort to relieve his pain, he scooped some of the pool's cool water out and splashed it over his abdominal. The second time he lowered his hand, a blonde head popped out of the water. Blue met blue as Klaus looked into the mermaid's eyes.

"You're hurt," she said, her voice no more than a whisper, her head and shoulders bobbing in the water.

He tried to smile, "Body only. My mind is at peace...because of you."

"Me?" the mermaid asked, her eyes growing wide.

"Yes," Klaus said, reaching out and brushing a piece of perfect blonde hair that was stuck on her cheek away with his knuckles. "I was lost. The wind... the tides... they were to renew a man's faith. For me, it was only you," he said with a small shake of his head, his hand grasping the stake still embedded in his gut.

"Niklaus," Caroline said, laying her arms on the rock above her and lifting half way out of the water. She rested her forehead against his, "I can save you. You need only ask." Her hand brushed against his cheek before she sunk back into the water.

"I seek just one thing, Love."

"And what is that?"

"Forgiveness. If not for me, you would have never been captured."

"Ask," she said, her blue eyes studying his face.

"Forgive me," he whispered once more before Caroline's lips claimed his.

Her thin arms wrapped around his neck and Klaus allowed himself to be pulled into the water below.