69

It was his fault. All his fault. Maybe if he had stayed, or said something different, left her alone, not left her alone. Maybe if he had done a better job protecting her then she would have still been with him.

The irony in all of it was too much. She had survived so much in her life. So much pain that he should have seen it coming. How had they not seen it sooner? Those pathetic and useless friends that she held so dear, the only thing they could do was worry about that worthless doppelganger.

Couldn't they have done something? His Caroline, so happy, so bright and bubbly with the only light that could break through his darkness was gone.

And it wasn't because of him. It wasn't because of his temper or a rash decision he had made. It wasn't some hunter that had found her or of one of his enemies searching for revenge on him. It was because her friends didn't approve, they didn't accept who she was and who she wanted to be.

All he could think was that he hadn't been there. He would have taken her to Paris or London somewhere so full of life that she would have loved. The life and happiness would have seeped into her and she would have been happy. He would have made her happy. He would have at least tried.

He wouldn't have let her go so easily if he had known.
Looking back he could start to pinpoint all the little signs that he had brushed off. The way that she had sounded on the phone when she talked to him.

It wasn't her usual happy energetic voice; it lacked that happiness that she emanated all the time. The last time that she had seen her she lacked that light in her eyes, that light that had made him fall so hard for her.

Then when he had come to visit his sister for a short period of time and he had taken her to dinner she looked gaunt and almost zombie like.
When he asked her about it she brushed it off and pretended to be that bubbly girl again. But he could tell, she couldn't hide it from him.

Not wanting to corner her or pressure her he let it go, assuring himself that she would tell him whatever was bothering her eventually. Throughout dinner when she thought he wasn't paying attention she would play with the knife on her plate, staring at it almost thoughtfully.

He had had to leave quickly after that dinner. Giving her a quick kiss on the cheek and a smile he told her that he would be back. Had he known that that would be the last time he would ever see her, talk to her, smell her, and be with her he would have begged her to stay with him.

To see the world and all it had to offer. To be with him, let him make her feel happy again.
But here he stood, looking down at a piece of stone.

A boring grey stone marker to represent the girl that had stolen his heart. The girl once so full of light that it seeped into everyone around her. This was what became of her. The words

"Caroline Forbes. loved daughter and friend. You will be missed." Etched in light grey stone that would one day be gone.

He sank to his knees in front of her grave and dropped the rose he had intended to put there. His chest clenched painfully and he wanted to scream, murder and maim thousands so that they would feel the pain he felt. But not even that pain could compare with what he felt.

"You would hate that wouldn't you?" He whispered brokenly as he reached out and touched the cold stone,

"Me killing for you," his voice broke a little from emotion. "Even now I can't bare to disappoint you sweetheart," He almost expected to hear her coming behind him with a slight giggle telling him that it was all a joke. But all he heard was the wind and the rustling of the leaves on the ground.

"But I would kill for you sweetheart, I would die for you if it came to that."
He didn't know how long he stayed like that. On his knees in front of her grave, a single red rose at his side.

Eventually he heard someone coming from behind him but he couldn't make himself move to see who it was.

"Klaus?" He recognized her voice but didn't look at her. How could he? She was at fault as much as he was. She was supposed to be afraid of him; he had done so much to hurt her. So he was surprised when Elena Gilbert, the golden girl of Mystic Falls, knelt down next to him and set a lily down in front of the headstone.

A sad silence fell between them until Elena spoke again, "I know you must hate me even more now," he was shocked enough to look at her, first off why was she talking to him and then that she would blatantly bring up the fact that someone hated her,

"I've ruined every chance at companionship that you ever had," she still looked towards the grave. "First with the hybrids, then two of your brothers and now Caroline." A tear slid down her cheek. "She really loved you, you know?

She tried to hide it but I could tell. After you left she kind of lost it. I found her once just sitting on her bed staring at that drawing you gave her," he had to physically restrain himself from flinching at the thought that he had been the one to brake her in a way. She had kept it, and she had missed him, it was his fault.

"I figured you probably never got to see the letter, but she mentioned how you were the only one who could ever help her and she didn't think she deserved you."

How wrong she was, he thought, it was he who didn't deserve her. She was too good, too pure for someone like him, he would have ruined her.

"She said that she had no other choice, you left for New Orleans, we basically all left her for the cure, and Tyler left her for the wolf pack he discovered."

He clenched his hands into fists to stop them from shaking. Elena laughed dryly from his side as she continued, "She did say that if you ever came back we should be nice to you.

That you didn't deserve any hate from us. She also said that I owe you an apology," her voice got quiet for a moment as she finally looked at him. "I helped kill two of your brothers and tried to kill you countless times, and despite Caroline's wishes I can't apologize, just like you couldn't apologize for killing my aunt." She took a breath to prepare herself, "but I can promise that I won't try to kill you again, I'm not your friend by any means but for Care's sake I can respect that you are worth something,"
With that Elena stood and walked away from him.

"You were always too good Caroline," he whispered to her grave, astounded at the fact that she had made her friends apologize to him. What had he done in his life to meet someone like her?

A month ago, Liz Forbes had come home after a fifth consecutive night of working late to find her daughter laying on her bed with a stake through her heart.

A faded piece of paper was clutched in her hand. And next to her was a note explaining why she made the decision to end her life. When Liz finished reading the letter, with tears in her eyes she removed the paper her daughter had been clutching so tightly. It was the picture that Klaus had drawn her all that time ago, when she had been with him at the ball. And that was how Caroline Forbes met her end. At the end of the long letter were three words that sent her friends into shock when they read them. 'I love him.' Were Caroline's last words on paper. Her last thought as she left this world to watch over the ones that she loved, including the man who supposedly couldn't love. But he had loved, he had loved her and now she was gone, just like everyone else in his life.

*************Note****************
Okay I really want/need to know, do you guys like these, I mean, should I continue to post these?