45

She used to be so moral, so good, his light in the darkness. And then came the day when she turned it all off, when the horrors they saw became too much for her, when she lost too much. She didn't want to feel anymore, she didn't want the pain, not after her mother, her last human connection, was found murdered by one of her kind.

So she became everything she hated, to get away from the agony, the guilt of being what she was. There was a time Klaus thought he would revel in her becoming this dark, twisted thing. And maybe one day there would be again, when he was sure she knew of what she was doing, the real her...

But he loved Caroline, truly loved her, and he knew that if he let her loose on the world now, let her kill and maim and torture, she would never be the same; there would be no returning to the light for her. She would drown in her guilt, and Klaus would do anything to keep her from further pain.

Of course, the emotionless shell that Caroline was now didn't appreciate his plans for her. He had had to stop her from killing more times than he could count but and there were so many times where he wished he could simply compel her back. But he wouldn't do that to her, because he had sworn it to her. And he couldn't break his promise to her.

Klaus would get her back, he knew, he would get her back, make her feel again. He needed to; all he had to do was be patient.

It took exactly ten years, four months, one week, two days and seventeen hours for Caroline to turn her humanity back on. Klaus would never be sure why she flipped the switch back on, a part of him thought it was boredom, but it didn't matter, because his waiting was finally over. She was back with him.

"Klaus?" She asked, looking up at him, her eyes filling with all sorts of emotion, chaos. Her hands went into her hair as it all came back, and she gasped at the power of it. "Oh my god..." She whispered, her breath hitched, her eyes overflowing with tears, running down her cheeks. "I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry."

Klaus immediately reached forward and pulled her to him, holding her tightly against his chest as Caroline buried her face in his neck, her fingers digging into his back as she clung to him for dear life, sobbing her heart out.

He wasn't sure how long they sat there together when Caroline finally quieted, now simply lying against him, exhausted and heartbroken. But Klaus knew that it was worth it when she whispered two little words to him.

"Thank you."

She was back, his Caroline was back. She'd returned to him.

And Klaus would never let her go again.