76

"Klaus?" She could tell that something was wrong from the second that she had seen the front door ajar. That feeling of wrongness only magnified once she stepped foot into the foyer and saw the bloody handprint on the wall. "Klaus?" She sounded scared, but she didn't care. If someone or something had gotten to the big bad hybrid then the rest of them were doomed. She could see a little bit of his hand as she turned the corner and then his whole body came into view. "Oh my God," she whispered as she took in the sight before her. He was sprawled out on the floor on his back, his shirt ripped and stained with blood. His dark jeans also had the occasional rip and she could see that his knees and the portions of his legs she could see had open wounds. She had no idea why he wasn't healing but she didn't know if she wanted to find out. Without a second thought she darted forward and fell to the ground next to him. His eyes were closed and his breathing was labored. She brought her hand up and slapped him in an attempt to wake him.
They hybrid jolted up with a gasp of surprise which quickly turned into a noise of pain as he clutched his side and bent over. "Caroline?" His voice was raspy as he looked up at her.
"What happened?" She didn't know what to do so she reached out and grabbed his shoulders, pulling him up so that she could get him over to the couch that was only a few feet away. Thank God for supernatural strength and speed, she thought as she dragged the limp man with her.
"Some hunters got a hold of some white oak." Her eyes widened in surprise. "Don't worry, it wasn't enough to kill me, just cause a hell of a lot of pain." He winced as he moved to get more comfortable. She saw him reach to pull out one of the shards and she stopped him by grabbing his hand.
"Don't," she whispered, just realizing how close they were. Her face was inches away from his and she could make out the flecks of gold in his eyes. "Lay down, I'll do it." He looked confused so she pushed him down slightly. "I don't like seeing people in pain," Her eyes pleaded with him to just let her do it. He nodded and lay down. "I need to take your shirt off," she told him, "can you move your arms at all?" He tried to move one up and she saw him wince in pain so she pressed it back down to his side.
"Caroline," he didn't want her to see him like this. Not when he was weak. But she ignored him, as she usually did.
"I'm going to just rip it off ok?" She said as she placed her hands at the neckline of his shirt. She looked at him for a second as if preparing herself for what she was about to do before she took a breath and tore the shirt in two. Once it was in two different pieces she slid the fabric as gently as she could down his arms. "I'm never doing that again so don't get any ideas," she told him, refusing to look into his eyes, afraid of what she would find there if she did.
"Whatever you say love," He replied as he stared down at her as she assessed his injuries carefully. With shaking hands she reached forward towards one of the less severe wounds on his chest. He saw her hesitation and his heart swelled at the fact that she didn't want to cause him pain. "You don't have to do this you know," he told her as he watched her hand still hover over the wound.
"I know," she whispered, "But you've saved my life already twice and I wanted to do something for you," She took a breath to steady herself before plunging her fingers into his chest to take out the shard of wood. She took it out as carefully as she could and carefully watched his face out of the corner of her eye for any sign of pain. She breathed a sigh of relief as she pulled the shard out completely. "One down," she muttered to herself as she set the wood next to her. Klaus managed a weak smile at her before she positioned her hand to get out the next one.
Twenty minutes later Caroline had managed to get all of the minimal ones out of his torso. She knew that it was the bigger areas that were causing him pain but she didn't want to rush into anything and cause him useless pain. Ha, useless pain to the man who had murdered twelve hybrids in the span of 10 minutes. He had his head tilted onto the back of the couch as she pulled out the wood. Occasionally he would tense in pain and she would apologize. He liked the idea that she was touching him, helping him, and trying to make him comfortable, and that alone made the pain bearable.
"I need to get the area on your side," She told him as she inched towards the area where most of the blood was coming from. He nodded a little bit giving her better access to the area and he heard her gasp a little as more of the wound came into view. It looked like it really hurt; she knew that she wouldn't be able to deal with that kind of pain. "Um," she looked back up to him and jumped as she saw that he was watching her. His eyes looked so blue and she had to catch her breath for a moment because of the way he was looking at her. "This is probably going to hurt," she told him and he nodded.
"Wait Caroline," he caught her just as she was focusing her attention back on the wound. Her eyes snapped back up to his and she was surprised to say the least when he quickly captured her face in his large calloused hands and brought it up to his. Before she could ask what the hell he was doing, he was kissing her, and after a moment's hesitation she was kissing him back. When they were both breathless they pulled away, but Klaus kept his hand on the back of her neck, holding her forehead where it was against his.
"What the hell was that?" She asked as she finally came to her senses and pulled away from him. He laughed a little, ignoring the painful jolt that went through his side.
"Just in case I die, I wanted to know what that felt like," He told her with a smirk. She scoffed and looked back down at his wound, muttering something that sounded a lot like 'cocky bastard'. He leaned his head back again with a content smirk and she was grateful that her hair covered her face and hid the small smile on her lips and the blush on her cheeks. Just to get him back she pushed her hand into the wound without warning him. When he flinched she just smiled back up at him sweetly.
"Opps, sorry," Then she went to work on getting the wood out. When her fingers latched onto one particularly large shard and she pulled he tensed and let out a groan. She saw him move his head to the side, his face contorted in pain. She winced and pulled it out as quickly as she could. The motion caused him to shoot up and let out a roar of pain. His breathing was rough and his hands shook slightly. "I'm sorry," She whispered and he shook his head. "Do you need a minute?" In truth she was scared of what he could do to her if he lost control. Consciously he wouldn't hurt her but if he was in enough pain then he might lose it and go off on her, and that thought scared her.
"No, just keep going," He growled and she nodded. When she went back to getting the smaller shards out she was more careful. When they were all out she sighed in relief. And then she looked at his legs and her heart sank. The wounds there were almost as bad as the ones on his chest.
"I'm not taking your pants off so you can get those," she gestured to the wounds on his legs, "I'll go get you some blood and some things to clean this mess up. I'm not bringing in some blood whore so you're going to have to deal with blood bags." He smiled at her lack of fear and nodded. Then with a flash she was gone and he set to work on pulling the white oak out of his legs.
When she came back, she was carrying a bucket with a sponge and a bottle of bleach in one hand and a couple of blood bags in the other. He was lying on the couch, still shirtless but now he had on a pair of sweatpants. She almost burst out laughing at the sight of him in sweats. It wasn't every day that you got to see the big bad hybrid looking so human and well, relaxed. He looked up at her as she entered.
"Did you get it all out?" She asked as she set down the bucket and held out one of the blood bags for him.
"Yes, thank you sweetheart," He said taking the bag without complaint. She stared at his mouth for a second as he sucked the blood from the little straw like thing. When she felt him looking at her, she felt blood rush to her cheeks and neck and she quickly turned away to get to work on the blood spilled on the floor. "Leave it; I'll get someone else to do it." He told her, but she just scoffed and poured some bleach onto the floor. As she began scrubbing she heard him sigh and in a slight brush of air he had her slung over his shoulder and the next thing she knew she was laying back on the sofa. Despite the fact that she should probably be screaming in sheer terror at the fact that the most evil being on the planet had just caught her by surprise, she let out a little giggle. He grinned at her before going back and sitting on the other end of the couch by her feet.
He grabbed the blood bag that he had left discarded on the table next to him and then using his other hand he grabbed her feet and pulled them into his lap. "What are you doing?" She asked him with her eyes wide. He raised an eyebrow at her and continued sucking the blood through the straw. She made a noise of surprise as he began to gently massage her foot. That noise of surprise quickly became a moan as he smiled. He was looking into the unlit fireplace as he used one hand to rub her feet and the other to sip out of the blood bag.
She couldn't help but think if this is what life with him would be like, just quietly sitting as they read or watched a movie or something. It was nice actually, she told herself, having the hybrid act so human around her. She smiled and closed her eyes and let her body relax.
The next time he looked over, she was asleep. Her head was turned sideways and her mouth was open slightly as her chest rose and fell at a steady pace. She looked rather adorable actually, as her blonde hair fell into her face. He wondered what she was dreaming about. Her head turned a little and her mouth turned up into a small smile. He could sit there for hours watching her sleep. He loved everything about her, from the fire in which she ordered him to drink from a blood bag and the carefulness in which she removed the shards.