24 part 1

Klaus had been tracking Hayley for two days straight only resting to sleep and feed and then picking up right where he left off. He was making his way back out to the hillside about two miles outside of Mystic Falls to resume his search when a familiar scent invaded his wandering thoughts.

He could smell Caroline's light effervescent scent on the air as strong as if she were mere inches in front of him. It called to his wolf and he had to repress the urge to transform; to shred his clothes and let his claws sink into the soft earth. He shook off the notion and trained his hearing, tuning out the sounds of the forest and attempted to pick up the lilting notes of her voice.

Klaus could barely register the small sound on the air, but as soon as he heard it, he took off in the direction it was coming from. As he approached a clearing through the dense trees, Caroline's soft scent grew stronger and he could also smell the presence of another female. The Doppelgänger. Klaus rolled his eyes as he realized that Caroline and Elena were together. He hung back several yards after he spied them. Both girls were still clad in their red cheerleading uniforms, but his eyes were drawn to Caroline. Her blond hair was in a bouncy ponytail and her long creamy legs were bared for his appreciation. Klaus wanted nothing more than to trail his fingers along the silky skin of her legs. He surmised that this wasn't a hike for pleasure when he noticed Caroline's tense posture and the irritation lacing her words to Elena. He stepped back into the cover of the trees, never making his presence known, and listened in on their conversation.

Caroline was dragging Elena by her arm and stopped abruptly. "Seriously! You can't just go around draining people for sport or because they pissed you off, Elena."

Elena jerked her arm away. "Yes I can, Caroline. I'm a vampire, it's what we do."

"It is not! You know that those girls had families. You know that Stefan and Damon are out burying their bodies right now!" Caroline was so exasperated with her.

Elena narrowed her eyes accusingly. "What is this? Are we back to the old days when I was your every obsession? Are you back to being jealous of me?"

Caroline shook her head in disbelief. "Get over yourself."

"You are, aren't you?" Elena laughed. "You're jealous that I turned it off. I bet you'd give anything to flip that switch, so you could get over Tyler leaving." Then she smiled torturously. "But truly, I bet you wish you could turn it off, so you can go fuck Klaus without feeling guilty."

Caroline looked scandalized at her unrecognizable best friend.

"If that's what you're worried about, I won't judge." Elena assured her mockingly. "I could give a damn about you wanting to fuck Klaus. By all means, have an orgasm for me. I'm sure it'll be grades above anything Tyler ever did for you."

"Shut up, Elena. You don't know anything about me and Tyler anymore." Caroline couldn't believe the audacity of her. She hadn't confided in Elena in months about Tyler.

"Please, you never shut up about him!" Elena scoffed. "I know every intimate detail about how you'd have to wait for Tyler to fall asleep after you had sex, before you went in the bathroom and finished yourself off."

The unfeeling brunette smiled again. "Well, that is until Klaus came along. Now you don't even talk about your sex life with Tyler anymore. I guess that's either because you guys weren't having it after he came home with Hayley or when you did have it, you just squeezed your legs really tight and pictured Klaus in your mind to get off." Elena laughed, putting her hand on her hip as if she was pleased with herself.

"So is that how you can stomach sleeping with Damon, you have to picture Stefan?" Caroline couldn't resist getting in a few digs of her own.

Elena rolled her eyes uncaringly. "No, but it is what I started doing with Stefan. I'd just lie there and think about Damon's face and his hands and his tongue doing any and everything I want."