31

He didn't know where she was going, and he didn't care. All he knew, holding her note in one hand, crumpling it into a ball, was that he had really messed up this time. And then he was out her front door, getting into his car and speeding toward the airport. He had to stop her. He had to, he couldn't lose her. Not after everything.

Why did she leave? Why didn't she stay and explain to him face to face? Why didn't she give him her usual spunk and tell him off as he deserved to be?

No, it was his fault. He knew that. He had taken his anger out on her, again; anger at Elijah, at Katherine, Rebekah, Stefan, Tyler, even Caroline, but mostly himself. He had been cruel to her though. He had told her that she meant nothing to him anymore, that he didn't love her or want her anymore, consumed with his own hurt and jealousy over seeing her with Tyler, locked in a passionate embrace, not knowing that she had ended things with him in a more permanent way, at least not until he read her note.

He broke every traffic law in the book, trying to get there before her plane took off and he never saw her again. Because if he didn't right the hurt, she would never want to see him again. He ran the reds, he went far over the speed limit, and he broke through at least two toll barriers. He didn't have time for those things. He had to get to her.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, he was at the airport, and he didn't bother with parking it properly, he just got out, running for the entrance, ignoring the yells of those around him. Klaus ran through the airport, glad that he could compel the security guards to let him through the line quicker, and he ran looking for her. He didn't know what gate she would be at, all he knew was that her plane was leaving soon. And he had to stop her from leaving.

He was losing hope though. She wasn't there, he couldn't find her. Maybe, maybe it was time to let her go.

"Klaus?" He swiveled at his name, locking eyes with her tear soaked ones, and he approached her purposefully. "What are you doing here Klaus?"

"You can't leave." All he could think to say in that moment was those three words, and he knew as soon as they left his mouth by the look on her face that they were the wrong words.

"Seriously? Why not? My friends don't want me, you don't want me. There's nothing here for me anymore."

"I didn't mean it. I do want you Caroline, more than you will ever know." He closed the last few feet between them, cupping her face in his hands. "And it's more than that. I need you, I need you in my life. I don't know how, but you snuck in and I love you and I don't want to lose you. I was jealous when I saw you with Tyler and I reacted-"

"Like you always react?"

He shrugged sheepishly. "I reacted how I always react." He agreed. "But it was because I thought I lost you. I shouldn't have said what I said though. And I'm," He paused, never having uttered these words sincerely before, but knowing, knowing without a doubt, that they were what she needed to hear, what he needed to say to make this better. "I'm sorry Caroline."

He watched the emotions pass over her face, only able to discern shock and happiness, and he reeled back in surprise when she launched herself at him, pressing her lips against his. It took him a moment to get past his shock, before he wrapped his arms around her, holding her close to him, pressing his lips more firmly against her own. She pulled away first, resting her head on his chest. "You got under my skin too." She whispered quietly. "And I was only leaving because I couldn't stand the thought of seeing you and knowing that you didn't want me anymore."

In that moment, Klaus knew that he would make mistakes with her again. He might hurt her again, disappoint her, and he might lose her. But never again, he swore to himself, would he make her feel like he didn't want her. He would do his absolute best to not purposefully hurt her. Because, hearing the pain in her voice, the image of her tear stained face still at the forefront of his mind, he knew that he didn't want to be responsible for that ever again, knowing he had caused it by using his words to hurt her. And he would hurt anyone who ever dared to make her feel less than she really was.