68

It was a bright warm summer morning when the blonde girl went up to the Mikaelson mansion.

After hesitating for a moment she took a shaky breath and raised her hand to knock lightly on the door.

Everyone that she had managed to get information out of in the last 100 years had eventually given her the name 'Mikaelson'. Some told her Klaus Mikaelson, others Rebekah Mikaelson.

These informants had made her promise that she would never pursue the family for her own safety.

When she had gotten the names she had done her research, she knew the things that they had done, she knew about the whole hybrid thing.

It was strange though, as she read about their lives there seemed to be gaps missing between the years 2012 and 2042.

These gaps were what had pushed her further in her quest for answers.
For one hundred years she had had huge gaps in her memory.

It was like she hadn't existed at all during that time. And coincidentally, she couldn't remember anything from the year 2012 to when she woke up, not knowing where she was, in 2042, it was too much a coincidence to not investigate.

Caroline Forbes was not one for letting things go easily and she sure as hell didn't believe in coincidences. So that brought her to where she was now, holding a stack of papers full of information that she had collected over the years, knocking at the door of the most feared creatures in the history of time.

"Bloody hell, I'm coming," said a female voice just before the door swung open. The girl who had opened the door stood there with a look of shock on her face. That shock quickly flitted to pain and then confusion before settling on a cold unreadable look.

"Hi, you must be Rebekah," Caroline said nervously holding out her hand, "I'm Caroline Forbes I was wondering if I could ask you and your family a few questions?"

She couldn't keep the hope and desperation out of her voice if she had tried. Rebekah slowly nodded, still a little bit in shock and then stepped aside letting Caroline into the huge mansion.

"Nik!" She yelled from behind Caroline as she shut the door, "Elijah! There's someone here to talk to us."

"Just send them away," Came an annoyed response from above just as another man came walking down the stairs dressed in a perfectly tailored suit. He faltered a bit when he saw her, just as Rebekah had done.

"Niklaus," He said quietly, "You need to come down," He took the final steps down into the foyer and went to stand next to Rebekah, whispering something to her so low that Caroline couldn't even make it out. Just then another man came to the top of the stairs.

"What is it that is so damn important to see?" He asked annoyed. Rebekah and Elijah looked at him and then at the blonde that he was clearly trying to ignore. Seeing the worry and confusion in their eyes Klaus' eyes snapped to the younger vampire.

"Bloody hell," he said under his breath as his eyes met her blue ones.

"Nik," Caroline groaned as she moved her head to the side. Pain shot up her side from the simple movement and she gasped, her eyes flying open in the process. Across the way she could see the hybrid tied down with Vervain and Wolfsbane soaked ropes. He looked at her tiredly but managed a small smile. Her eyes quickly moved to see what was causing the sharp pain in her side and she found a wooden stake shoved into her. "Nik, what's going on?" She asked looking back to him.

"It's ok sweetheart," he said, his voice rough from the pain. "I'm not going to let anything happen to you." Caroline nodded, not knowing how else to reply.

"Where are we?" She asked looking around.

"You're in hell," said a voice from the corner. A woman stepped out from the shadows and went to stand in between the couple. She crossed her arms over her chest and looked at Caroline briefly before turning to Klaus with a hard look.

"Do you remember me Niklaus?" She asked and when he looked at her Caroline could see a flash of recognition in his eyes.

"Meghan," He snarled moving against the ropes and hissing as they seared through his flesh.

"I'm glad I made an impression on you," She said turning away from him for a moment to look towards Caroline. "I see you found a new play thing," She commented approaching Caroline.

"Don't you dare touch her," Klaus snarled glaring at her back.
"I don't plan on hurting her Klaus." Meghan said crouching down in front of Caroline and examining her carefully.

"It's a funny thing isn't it Caroline?" She asked, "Loving a monster,"

Caroline's eyes narrowed in confusion and she looked to Klaus for a moment. "I loved him once you know," Meghan continued causing Caroline's eyes to snap back to hers.

"He used me; to get close to an enemy of his and then when he was done with me he cast me aside like I was nothing. What is he using you for I wonder?" She asked.

"Nothing," Caroline replied, finally finding her voice. "He loves me," Meghan scoffed.

"Love," She shook her head. "Honey, it doesn't exist." Then she rose up and tore Caroline's chains from the wall, pulling the blonde up with her. She spun them both around so that they were facing the hybrid. "You love her?"

She asked Klaus shaking Caroline a little. Klaus swallowed and then looking at Caroline he slowly nodded. "Well, then," she spun Caroline before her and held her there. "I suppose that I can change my plans for the two of you then."

She smiled coldly. "You see, I'm sure that in being alive for over a thousand years, you have learned to deal with physical pain."

She spoke to Klaus but kept her eyes glued on Caroline. "But there is a difference between physical pain and emotional pain Niklaus. And I'm going to be the one to teach you that."

"If you hurt her-" Klaus began to threaten her but Meghan cut him off.

"I won't hurt her." Her voice was so calm that it was unsettling. "But I will hurt you Klaus; I will make you watch the woman you love forget you. She won't remember any of the lives you've shared together. Every 'I love you', every touch, every kiss will be gone. I will make you watch the one you love leave you and fall for another, just like I did."

She smiled and then pulled Caroline over to where Klaus was. "Compel her to forget you and your family or I'll kill her in front of you."
"No," Caroline whispered struggling against Meghan's strong grip.

"You can't do that," She looked to Klaus, her eyes pleading. "Please Nik, I don't want to forget, I can't." A tear fell from her eye and made its way down her cheek.

"I won't let you die," his voice was cold, unmoving and she knew that she wouldn't be able to win this fight.

"I would rather die loving you than live without knowing you exist," Tears started streaming down her cheeks as she begged him.
"I'm sorry Caroline,"
"No! It won't! I won't forget you Nik, I'll never forget you." Meghan grabbed her face and forced her to hold eye contact with Klaus.

"Do it, now." She sounded bored and Klaus nodded.
"I won't lose you Caroline," He told her and she let out a sob. His pupils dilated and she could feel her mind fell under his compulsion. "Forget," he whispered as a tear pushed its way out of his eye.

"I'm not crazy!" She shouted glaring at the three before her. "I have proof," She said reaching towards the stack of papers on the table in front of her. "Here look," she said pulling some of them out and holding them out to them.

They were drawings. One of them was a sketch of a couple kissing in Paris, another was Klaus standing next to a horse at night, him at her high school graduation, him tied in a dark room bloodied and hurt.

They were all of him, and Caroline noticed the resemblance and her mouth opened slightly looking between the drawings and Klaus.

"It's you," she whispered and suddenly her voice grew angrier and louder. "I can't remember 40 years of my life. Do you know what that's like?" She asked looking at each of them in turn.

"And everywhere I go people know me, they're scared of me and I don't know why."

"I think you've made a mistake," Klaus said standing, about to walk out of the room.

"No I haven't," she said standing too, ready to go after him. "I've dreamt about you, I've drawn you. I've heard your voice in my sleep and when I wake up its like there's a hole in my chest, it's like I'm living without a heart. I need to find that piece and you can help me,"

"Nik, just tell her." Rebekah finally said. "Tell her or I will," Klaus rounded on Rebekah, a dangerous look in his eyes.

"You will do no such thing Bekah," his voice was threatening.
"You were not the only one who loved her Nik!" She shouted. Silently Elijah stood and stepped between the two.

"Rebekah is right brother." He said looking at Caroline, who was watching the scene in confusion. "It is safe for her to remember,"

"It's too dangerous," Klaus said quietly, all anger suddenly lost.
"It's always been dangerous," Rebekah told him.

"She'll be angry,"
"Nik, you took 40 years of happiness away from her. Of course she's going to be angry." They shifted their gaze to the blonde standing by the couch.

"Come here," Klaus said holding out his hand which she hesitantly took. When she was positioned in front of him he placed his hands on either side of her face and looked into her blue eyes, "Caroline," he said softly as his pupils dilated.

"Remember,"
One word and all the memories came crashing over her. It was like a dam in her mind had broken and all of the feelings and memories that she had been forced to forget were crashing back over her.

She took a shaky breath and looked at Rebekah who was standing next to Klaus.

"Bex?" She asked her voice shaky and the other blonde nodded her head, tears in her eyes. She held her arms out and Caroline ran to hug her best friend who she had not seen in one hundred years.

Klaus stood watching his sister hug Caroline. He stepped back, letting the two reunite. Elijah patted him on the back before he went to greet Caroline. "Lijah," she hugged him too. "I missed you two," she said once she pulled away from them.

Then she turned towards Klaus. He couldn't read her expression as she slowly approached him. When her face was inches away from his she raised her hand and touched his cheek. He closed his eyes and leaned into her touch, relishing in the way it felt after all these years. "Never, ever, do that again."

She whispered and he nodded in agreement before pulling her closer and kissing her.
After a hundred years he was finally kissing her.