78

The doorbell rang in the Mikaelson mansion and echoed in every room. Klaus was in his art room painting another artwork for his gallery. Caroline was sitting on the couch with her daughter, Paisley, playing with her imported glass dolls.
Klaus called out, "Caroline, love. Will you get the door for me? I'm a bit busy."
She rolled her eyes and set the dolls down, but Paisley tugged on the hem of her shirt. "Mommy, I thought you were playing with me."
Caroline giggled and kissed the top of her forehead. "Don't worry. I'll be right back. I just need to answer the door." She replied.
She opened the door to see a familiar face. The woman in front of her looked vaguely familiar, but older. Her hair was dark brown that matched her eyes. Her leather jacket and boots were coal black. The woman stood with her weight on one leg. Hayley.
Glaring, Caroline asked, "What are you doing here?"
The werewolf girl smirked, "I need to talk to Klaus."
"He's busy."
"Well, tell him it has been five years and that-"
She stopped midsentence to see Klaus covered in paint. They could hear Paisley giggling in the background, "Daddy, you look funny."
Klaus remarked, "Hayley, what a nice surprise."
"Where's our kid?"
Caroline shot him a death look that could kill. He hesitated, "I don't know what you're talking about."
"The kid that I let you have for five years while I was looking for my family in New Orleans." She peered around Klaus and Caroline, and pointed at Paisley. "That kid. I want her back."
"I think you're mistaken", Caroline scoffed, "Klaus adopted 'that kid' when he was in New Orleans-"
Her eyes looked teary when she saw his facial expression. "Is it true?" She questioned.
His head hung low. How could he bear to lie to Caroline again?
"Yes." His words felt dry in his mouth.
"Hayley. Get out of here. I don't want to see your face again." Caroline slammed the door on the werewolf girl.
"Klaus. I don't want to see you either. I'm leaving Mystic Falls tomorrow." Her voice was monotone.
"Mommy?" Paisley's voice was innocent to the situation. "Aren't you going to play with me?",
She cleared her throat, "You can ask Daddy. He's great at playing with fragile things."