Lilo - Lullaby

Based on the song Lullaby by Ronan Keating

Louis' POV

Istood in the kitchen with my head resting against the top cupboard listening to our baby scream her lungs out. Liam was in the nursery with little Rachel trying to calm her down. The past week she had been waking up at 1:30 every morning waking both Liam and I up with her continuous heart wrenching screaming. It sounds like she is having her throat cut.

Liam had sent me into the kitchen to heat a bottle but the microwave seemed to be taking forever. The crying became louder as i turned around. Liam stood at the door with Rachel against his shoulder trying to comfort the poor girl. I shot him a weak smile as the microwave beeped though i'm sure it was more of a grimace.

I pulled the jug from the microwave and dipped my finger to test the temperature. once i was happy that it wasn't going to scald her tiny mouth i poured it into a bottle and passed it to Liam. He smiled graciously and placed the teet against her tiny lips. She thankfully took it straight away and stopped crying. Both Liam and I sighed with relief.

I motioned for him to pass her to me which he gladly did. The poor lad was dead tired. Rachel was only 3 months old and wasn't sleeping the night through. Liam being the 'mother' figure after giving birth felt it was his responsiblity to get up for her in the middle of the night. Sadly he was rather stubborn and didn't like having me up nursing her.

Liam must have been feeling very tired seeing he trudged downt he hallway and i watched as our bedroom door closed. i looked down at the little baby in my arms, she was staring right up into my face, her gorgeous blue eyes shining in the dimly lit kitchen.

"You missy need to stop waking your Daddy Liam up at nasty hours. He needs his beauty sleep." She simply wiggled in response. I removed the now empty bottle and burped her. Thankfully i had a towel over my shoulder as she managed to throw up half of her bottle.

I walked into the nursery and sat down in the rocking chair with her placed over my shoulder, her tiny face pressed against my neck. I shivered as i felt her tiny breaths hit the skin. Looking at the clock against the wall it was 3am, earlier than normal for her to be settled.

i began to hum as i looked down at her precious face,

Now you’ll lay me down to sleep

Pray the Lord your soul to keep

That your heart if safe with me

If I die before I wake

I’m sorry darlin’ for every mistake I’ve ever made

I could sing you the most beautiful song you’ve ever heard

You could sing alone my hummingbird

But you don’t need to sing

I don’t need to play it’ll be alright

I just want you to fall asleep tonight

This is a lullaby… lullaby, lullaby, lullaby

It’s just the way I say goodnight

It’ll be ok, it’ll be alright

This is your lullaby

Her breathing slowed enough to show she had fallen asleep. I sighed with utter relief and stood placing her into the crib. After tucking her in under the blanket i pressed a gentle kiss against her forehead.

A pair of arms snuck around my waist making me jump. I felt Liam chuckle as he placed his head on my shoulder.
"Well done Daddy Louis." I giggled and placed my hands on top of his,
"Promise you'll let me out her to sleep now?" I felt him nod against my shoulder,
"With that song and your voice i would never be able to compete."

I turned around in his arms and sang softly,

I could sing you the most beautiful song you’ve ever heard

You could sing alone my hummingbird

But you don’t need to sing

I don’t need to play it’ll be alright

I just want you to fall asleep tonight

i smiled as Liam fell asleep against my shoulder,

"Time for Daddy Louis and Daddy Liam to get some sleep too." i mumbled as i lifted Liam carrying him to our bed.