Chapter 53

Chapter 53

8 months later...

I'm okay.

I deleted social media and removed many contacts I will never use again. Doing this also stopped all communication with Ruby and Dom. It was for the best. Confronting them wouldn't change what happened. I use to always drink with them. Now, I am eight months sober.

I got a job for the last bit of high school. I worked right after school until 8pm everyday to keep myself busy. Sometimes I would pick up day shifts on the weekends. The tips were always good; it would be my gas money every week. It's a little shop next to the highway, Empress Espresso.

Harley comes in every once in a while. We keep the conversations light. Simon and Rogue are apparently stronger than ever. He moved out not too long ago to go live with them. Harley agrees he is not the best roommate.

I haven't seen Wayne since I left. It took me months to not go over and apologize. I know he doesn't leave home much. I can't use him as a crutch to solve all of my problems. Relying on one person is unrealistic.

It has gotten better at home. I just keep my head down and do my chores on time. My mom and I haven't fought in a while.

She suggested I started going on morning walks everyday. It is good for my mental clarity. Every morning at nine, I walk at least a mile. There is no route I regular, I just go where my legs take me.

One day, that path was to Wayne's house. I wondered down over and tried to keep my eyes on the sidewalk. A sign picketed in the grass caught my attention. A "For Sale" sign sponsored by Harris Estates. What really caught my eye is a big red rectangle that said, "SOLD". Now, there was no possibility we would be together again. I just kept walking.

I parked my car on the side of the street. It took me a couple of failed attempts to learn how to parallel park. To avoid all of it, I have to park about a block away.

I hear a voice. A familiar voice I haven't heard in months. My attention was captured by his tall frame.

"Bethany?" He said. I never thought I would see this man again.

"Cameron?" I questioned him back. He has gotten taller since I last saw him. Gained some weight, shoulders buff and strong legs.

"It's so good to see you!" His smile was clear and bright.

Cameron spread his long arms and wrapped me in a deep hug. His body completely covered me like a blanket; I disappeared for a good five seconds. I haven't been hugged by someone since I said goodbye to Wayne. I hope he didn't hear how loud my heart was pounding.

"Good to see you too," I said, my voice muffled in his shirt. Cameron broke the hug, but remained close to me. "I'm just heading home after work."

His head tilted to the right a little. "Where are you working?"

"Empress Espresso. A little coffee shop about a block west."

"Wow, I love that place! Amazing espresso shots."

I squinted. "Really, I have never seen you there."

If he loves it there, he could have recognized my work outfit. A pastel pink, scoop neck dress that ends just above my knees, coffee-brown waist apron with ruffles around the curve, and a pastel green magnetic name tag. Each girl gets three dresses. I had to get new ones because I dropped two sizes.

"Oh." Cameron gulped. "Well, I should come when you are working."

"11 to 4, Monday through Friday." I smiled.

"I will keep that in mind." I lightly giggled and walked around him, unlocking my car. He chased after me. "Hey, Beth?"

He caught my attention. I turned and leaned against my car. "What's up?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to go get something to eat? My treat."

Like, a date? I thought. Why me?

Wayne would not be happy about this. I would be concerned for Cameron's life if he saw us together. On the other hand, Wayne isn't here. He could be anywhere with anyone. Also, I haven't seen Cameron in a while. It could be nice to catch up.

"Yeah, I'd like that."

~

Thank you so much for reading my story. This is my first book I have finished, so I know I need some improvement. But, I want to thank you for the love you have given me.

I want to ask you to vote as much as you can and share with your friends. I couldn't have done this without your support.

I am editing the story, so I am sorry if there were some spelling errors or gaps in the story.

Follow me to stay tuned for the 25th of August for Our Release.

I love you, my beautiful readers.

~Brooke M.