Chapter 10 - Sam's Discovery

I flinched away and blinked.

"I scared you didn't I?" Embry grinned.

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Um... no... not really..." I told him.  He rolled his eyes at me and shrugged.

"Well, I tried." He said and pushed his wet hair back.

"Ok, so we gotta bring you back up..." He lifted his finger and pointed towards the sky. I furrowed my eyeebrows and stared up.

"Up where?" I asked.

"Up to the top. We gotta bring ya back to your Uncle Uley's" He told me and flashed a crooked smile.

"Aw, why? I don't wanna go back." I told him, "Can't we go somewhere else when we get out?" Embry raised his eyebrows at me and laughed.

"Yeah, don't think so... now c'mon follow me, we gotta get you out of the water." he said and sawm past me. He slowed down and nodded his head towards the direction he was headed. "C'mon, don't just stand there..." He told when I just watched him. I sighed and went after him.

"You're gunna need to slow down, I can't see a thing without my glasses!" I told when he decided that he wanted to swim faster.

"Are you serious? You can't see me?" He slowed to a stop and turned around. "How many fingers am I holding up?" He lifted his hand from the water and moved his fingers rapidly.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I dunno.. two? You're moving your fingers too fast..."

Embry swam back to me and laughed. "I didn't know you were that blind..." He said as he neared and lifted his hand and grabbed mine. "I guess, your Knight in Shining Armor will have to help."

*                *                  *

I was sitting outside on the porch watching the clouds. I just sat there as the others were inside talking. I had asked Embry if we could go see other places twice and again he and the others said no. Davis had already left a long while ago. Even before we got here he had disappeared out of nowhere, and when I questioned Embry about his disappearance, he hadn't seemed like he wanted to answer my question, so he merely changed the subject. I hadn't noticed that until now, which made me quite suspicious...

I pulled my glasses off and wiped them.

Thinking back, I don't think Davis was to fond of Embry, neither was Embry quite fond of Davis.They seemed as if they 'disliked' each other, but of course Davis did seem to be a bit snappy to the other guys. But, that was before they started talking about him imprinting on something or someone... Whatever, I didn't care

Sighing, I looked over at the window behind me, they had closed the window, and pulled down the curtains. Ridiculous. They told me they had something important they needed to talk about for a while. What was so important that they had to even exclude me out of the house I'd be staying in?

 I looked back at the window again; I couldn't help the fact that curiosity had gotten the best of me. I crawled over to the window, making sure they couldn't spot me. I then put my head on the thin glass, and waited.

"So, we need Jacob to patrol the west side of the border and Jared on the east side..." I raised my eyebrows in curiousity.

It's been quite a while though... the rest was just muffled speaking. I found it hard to continue listening but just as I leaned away from the window slammed opened and a head popped out. 

I looked up at the person, and of course it had to be Embry. "What were you just doing...?" He asked with an arched eyebrow. I pressed my lips together...

"Nothing..." I replied quickly in an innocent voice, but of course that was just fake innocence.

Embry smiled. "So...what do you call your eavesdropping skills, back there?" He asked as he leaned out the window. "I was not eavesdropping!" He gave me a skeptical look. "Then, what were you doing..."

I glared at him. "Well...I was just listening....to...the background music...duh..." 

Ok out of the history of lies, that has to be the worst lie ever told...

 Embry stared at me for a couple of minutes. "...Liar..." he beat out smoothly.

"Tch, whatever... And you guys won't even let me get inside, something so important that I can't get into my own room? Why are you guys even here? Inside, as I stay outside...in the cold possibly freezing to death..."

Okay I was exaggerating when I said freezing to death, it was very warm outside, hardly a chilly breeze. "So, what are guys doing here?" I asked.

Embry just nodded his head, and looked at me with a smile. "Ya know, you look pretty funny from this angle..." I gave him an unimpressed look under my lashes.

"Hey, stop flirting with Dave's imprint..."  Jared said to Embry as he came to the window, with a knowing smile. Just at that moment, Uncle Sam bursted through the door.

He looked at Jared with an unbelievable look, not wanting to really believe what he had heard. "Dave's imprint...? What did you say?" He didn't seem too happy about that. Whatever 'Imprinting' meant to these people.

Jared nodded slowly. "Erh...yeah, Davis imprinted..." He said hesitant as if he'd get in trouble or something. Embry turned to Jared with wide eyes and his mouth open, looking extermly shocked. There was now this menacing look on Sam's face that I've never seen on him before.

"What do you mean we think...are you sure or not..." he looked like he'd break these guys' neck if they didn't spill.

 "Well, uh...it looked like it... at the time..." Jared side looking nervously.

 "So...you think that...Davis imprinted...on..." Sam started as Jared's eyes trailed it over to me, making it obvious, he was putting some kind of blame on me. 

Suddenly, Embry cleared his throat. "Uh...sam..." he looked at me then back at Sam, hinting something privately. I narrowed my eyes at this.

Sam looked at me, his expression changing. "Uh...Mace, why don't you...go upstairs and take a rest..." My face dulled, giving him a skeptical look. "Yeah, alright, I get it... I'll go so you guys can discuss...whatever..." I didn't really care...

But as I left I heard Sam's voice boom in the background,

"So, explain to me, how you 'think' Davis imprinted on my niece..."