Chapter 47 - Like A Sister...

Recap:

“Are you crazy? I thought something terrible happened to you! Something terrible could’ve happened,” He shouted.

I shrugged my shoulders, “But it didn’t so no need to get your knickers in a twist…” I turned my head to where the motorcycle lay and walked over to it.

“No, Macy, you need to stop with this recklessness, you’re gonna hurt yourself!” I heard him say behind me, I merely sighed and rested my hands on my hips.

“Oh whatever,” I began, “it’s not like it hasn’t happened before… I’ll be fine. I fell from a cliff—absolutely fine now, and hey if I can survive a crash from driving my motorcycle on the Brooklyn Bridge in the opposite direction, then I can basically survive anything…besides you only live once.”

“You’re so damn selfish.” That caught me off guard.

I furrowed my eyebrows and turned my body fully towards Jacob. “What?”

“You heard me,” He said and took long strides to me, “You’re selfish…”

“How am I—”

“You’re doing all these crazy things, and you don’t care about what happens to you… but you don’t even stop to consider, not even once, how your condition affect others… how they could affect…me..." 

*  *  *

I furrowed my eyebrows at Jacob as he finished his sentence. How they could affect him? What was he talking about? “You?” I asked incredulously.

Jake froze almost immediately. His eyes widened and had a shocked expression on his tan features. To say he looked surprised was an understatement he was beyond surprise whether it was with his own words or the fact that I questioned them; I didn’t know.

“Yes,” he croaked, ”Every time you do something risky I tremble inside… my heart cracks a little and I hope and pray for your safety…” He took small steps towards me and stopped until we were toe-to-toe. My heart did a small summersault as he towered a full head over me. When his eyes found mine the brown orbs pierced like a spear through my own and sent a chill into my body. I quickly turned my eyes to the ground and glanced at the abandoned motorbike.

“I swear if I didn’t know any better it sounded like you really cared…” I mumbled bitterly and made a quick move to back away from Jake but he caught them fast and grabbed my shoulders.

He furrowed his eyebrows at me, “Then I guess you don’t know me at all!” He sounded angry, “I care more than you’d know, more than you probably would ever know. When you fell from that cliff and hit your head… you were bleeding… my heart stopped. Never in my life had I ever been so frightened…” I looked up at him curiously… So I hit my head too? “But then you weren’t recovering too well… you were cold and sweating at the same time… you were so pale… and I could barely feel your pulse. I thought… I…” He stopped and let out a stressed sigh, “and it wasn’t all my fault. You were so damn…” He stopped and shook his head quickly, “No, that time it was my fault… and I’m glad you don’t remember. I care for you so much Macy and you…you… just…” He paused; the determined look on his face was long gone and replaced with a look of confusion and distraught. My eyes widened and my heart hammered quicker against my chest. For some sadistic reason his distress brought this warm feeling by my heart. The act that he was so worried and distressed over me just emphasized how much he cared. But now, I felt guilt tug at my heart.