Chapter 27 - Into The Closet

I grabbed a loaf of bread and some peanut butter from the counter, but I couldn't find any knives to spread my butter on the bread. I twisted the lid open and stuck my hand into the jar. I grabbed a handful of peanut butter and spread it all over the bread.

"What are you doing?" I heard someone ask, their tone a hint of disgust. I froze, and looked up.

"Oh hey Embry..." I greeted. I continued and folded my bread in half, taking a bite casually. He scrunched up his nose in disgust.

"That's gross..." He muttered. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"What, you don't like peanut butter?" I questioned. He raised an eyebrow at me.

"You just put your hand into a jar of peanut butter and used it to spread it on a loaf of bread...that's very unsanitary..." Embry told me. I pursed my lips, and furrowed my eyebrows. I did do that...didn't I?

"So...? We're out of knives..." I defended myself.

He raised an eyebrow at me as I said that, his eyes darting to the silver wear on the side of the sink. "You could always use a spoon...or something..." He suggested shrugging his shoulder as took a bite from my awesome peanut butter sandwich. I shook my head at his suggestion.

 "Well...this..." I said lifting my peanut buttered hand. "Is 'or something' ... besides that soon is dir-ty..." I said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

His shoulders slacked as he gave me a flat look. He picked up the spoon and wiped it on his shirt until it shined.

"Look at that, clean as whistle... look at that wonderful shine..." He beamed.

 I scrunched my nose up in disgust. "Unsanitary..." Embry gave me a deadpanned look

 "Are you kidding me...? Did you even wash your hands...?” My mouth hung open at his accusation.

"Yes! Of course I did!" I told him, but he simply shook his head, chuckling to himself slightly.

"Yeah, I bet..."

 Rolling my eyes, I walked over to the trash can and dumped my half eaten peanut butter sandwich. For some reason it left a bitter taste in my mouth, and I didn't like it. I then walked over to the sink washing my hands from the drying peanut butter. 

A deep heavy sigh caused me to turn around, and look at Embry with a raised eyebrow. He shrugged. "Wasn't me..." And his eyes drifted to the side. Standing at the door was a tired and overly worked looking Jared, and shirtless might I add.

 Before I could even question him for the sudden half nudity, I noticed the dull color of his eyes, and frowned.

"Why so glum chum?” I asked as I swayed on my heels looking at him curiously.

 He sighed, running a hand through his cropped locks. "Just tired of all the night shifts Sam's giving me..." I tilted my head, furrowing my eyebrows at his words. Night Shift? What was he talking about.

 "You work?"

 "What?" But as soon as those words escaped his lips, he looked as if he had said something he wasn't supposed to... I glanced at Embry, and he seemed to be giving Jared a secret look that only they could understand.

 I shrugged, letting it roll off my shoulder, I'm sure it's nothing important anyway. "Oh, um...okay, did you have any rest?" I asked him, he furrowed his eyebrows at me, pursing his lips into a straight line.