Chapter One | The Mysterious Telegram

The Earl and Countess of Grantham's youngest daughter, Lady Darrel Crawley was unlike other young ladies in her social class

The Earl and Countess of Grantham's youngest daughter, Lady Darrel Crawley was unlike other young ladies in her social class. While most girls her age stayed at home learning French with their governesses and perfecting the pianoforte, Darrel chose a different path. She spent her days at the village's schoolhouse receiving a more formal education, her evenings reading books on various topics, and her free time in the kitchens annoying Mrs Patmore. The other members of the Crawley family did not always approve of Darrel's ways. However, they loved her and wanted to support her in all her decisions.

One afternoon, Mary, Edith and Rose were conversing in the library. While Lady Mary was the only one who still lived at Downton Abbey, Rose was on a visit from Boston to visit her parents, and Edith had decided to visit Downton while her husband, the Marquess of Hexham dealt with business up in London.

The door opened, and Lady Darrel entered with an annoyed expression on her face.

"Hello, darling, how was school?" Mary asked.

"It was awful," Darrel groaned, throwing her book bag on the ground as she sat down. "Ms Bunting did not pass me on an evaluation, although I am fairly certain she is doing it on purpose."

"Is she allowed to do that?" Edith inquired.

"Well, she does it all the time now. So it appears so."

"Well, surely you can confront her about it."

"Despite my issue with Ms Bunting, she is still my teacher," Darrel reminded, then turned to Thomas. "Mr Barrow, could you please fetch me a cup of tea?"

"Certainly, m'lady," Thomas bowed and left the room.

"Just be patient with Ms Bunting," Mary advised. "Or have Tom court her, and then she will be in a better mood and give you an easier time."

"I appreciate the suggestion, Mary. However, I do not wish to have Sarah Bunting like me because she is courting my brother-in-law."

Mary was about to respond when the door opened and Lord Grantham entered, followed by Tom, having returned from inspecting cottages.

"What are you four talking about?" Robert inquired.

"We are suggesting ideas for how to get Ms Bunting to stop failing Darrel at school," Rose replied.

"Well, that is easy. Have Tom court her."

"Excuse me?" Tom exclaimed.

"Can everyone stop suggesting that?" Darrel sighed.

The others could not help but laugh as Thomas returned with Darrel's tea.

"Thank you, Barrow," Darrel nodded.

"M'lady," Thomas bowed, then resumed his station by the door.

"So, what shall we do about Ms Bunting?" Tom asked.

"I will handle it," Darrel assured.

"Well, do not ask me to court her."

"Do not worry. I do not hate you that much," she nodded, causing him to chuckle.

The next morning, Darrel arrived at her classroom to find her good friend, Master Paul Ringer, reading a novel.

"Good morning, Darrel," Paul smiled.

"Hello," Darrel sighed as she sat next to him.

"What did Ms Bunting do this time?" he asked, knowing his friend very well, and her hatred for their school teacher.

"She did not pass me on the test, and I guarantee you that it was on purpose."

"Are you sure?"

"Let me see your test, I want to compare our answers."

Paul picked up his bag from the floor and rummaged through it, then pulled out a crumpled sheet of paper. Darrel could not help but roll her eyes at his lack of care for his work. She took her test out as well, placed the two beside each other and began to compare the two.

"Look at this!" Darrel exclaimed as she finished reviewing the tests. "I should have scored higher than you!"

Paul looked over her shoulder, "Nice work."

"That is not the point! Ms Bunting is a stupid, foul woman, and I will now force Tom to marry her so that I pass."

"Are you sure that you want to punish Tom?"

Darrel smirked as the door to the classroom opened and Ms Bunting entered.

"The two of you are here early," Ms Bunting observed as she sat down at her desk.

Darrel got to her feet and handed the teacher both tests.

"Do you have a point that you are attempting to make?" Ms Bunting asked, with a bored expression on her face.

"Do you even have to ask that question?" Darrel snapped. "I am sorry that my father shouted at you, and I understand why you may hate him. But it is utterly unfair to refuse to pass me because of that!"

Ms Bunting's eyes narrowed as the door opened and Felicity Evans rushed in.

"Look at this!" She exclaimed as she threw the newspaper onto Paul's desk.

"The Prince of Wales is unable to produce an heir," Paul read, "the search for the next person in line has begun."

"Can't Their Majesties produce a new heir?" Darrel inquired, as she walked over to read the article for herself.

"I do not believe it is as simple as that," Felicity shrugged.

"Well, I wish them luck."

Later that day during the break, Darrel, Paul and Felicity were in the schoolyard when Thomas ran up to them.

"Mr Barrow, is something wrong?" Darrel asked.

"A telegram arrived for you, m'lady. In case it was urgent, His Lordship sent me to give it to you," he informed.

"Thank you."

Darrel grabbed the telegram from the under-butler and opened it.

"What does it say?" Felicity inquired, as she attempted to look over her friend's shoulder.

"Her Majesty has asked me to go to Buckingham Palace at once."

"Why?" Paul asked.

"There is only one way to find out. Barrow, please return to the house and ask Madge to pack me a bag in case that is necessary. I shall be there shortly once Ms Bunting gives me to leave school premises."

"Of course, m'lady," Thomas bowed and left.

"Well, this shall be an exciting day," Darrel sighed and headed back into the school.