Chapter Eight | Siblings II

The next afternoon, after a long argument with her Aunt Rosamund, Darrel swung by Buckingham Palace and met her brother in the gardens.
    "Your highness," David bowed.
    Darrel curtsied.
    "The grounds are so beautiful," Darrel observed.
    David looked around, "Well, it is a rather beautiful day, why don't I see if we can go for a ride?"
    "Really? That what would be lovely."
    David smiled.  

    The two siblings headed to the stables. The head groom bowed to them.
    "Your highnesses," he greeted.
    "This is Miller," David introduced, "our head groom."
    "It's nice to meet you, Mr. Miller," Darrel smiled.
    "The same to you, your highness," Miller smiled, happy to be addressed so kindly.
    "My sister and I would like to go for a ride," David informed.
    "Certainly, your highness."
    Miller went over to his workers and ordered them to saddle two horses. David gave his sister an odd look.
    "What is it?" Darrel inquired.
    "Why did you address Miller in that manner?" David wondered.
    "Because he is a human, like us, and therefore deserves respect."
    "But..."
    "I've been talking like this for years, and you're not going to change how I address people. Understood?"
    David sighed. Miller soon had two horses ready. David helped his sister mount and they set off.
   A little later, they had tied their horses to a tree and were sitting by the edge of a lake.
    "I'm assuming Lord Grantham doesn't know you're here today?" David assumed.
    "They don't even know I've seen you," Darrel sighed, "I told them I was only here to visit Sebastian."
    "You'll have to tell them eventually, you're needed here."
    Darrel stood up, "Are you always so inconsiderate?"
    David got up as well, "Excuse me?"
    "I just found out that I haven't been living with my family, Mama's just had her heart broke, Papa's had his affair exposed to everyone, and everyone's just in shock!"
    "Of course, this must be a hard time for you all."
    "Yet, you have no problem with telling me about my duties."
    "But, your duties are to this country."
    Darrel groaned, "You don't get it!"
Darrel untied her horse and galloped back towards the stables.