Chapter Twenty-Two | The Role She was Born to Play

Later that evening, Robert, Cora, Mary, Henry and Tom were all in the drawing room, (Edith and Bertie had returned to Brancaster the day before), when the door opened and Darrel walked in, still wearing her farm dress from the morning.
    "I'm sorry I'm late," Darrel informed.
    "Don't worry dear, Carson hasn't announced dinner yet," Cora nodded, "where've you been all day?"
    "I was talking to Dr. Clarkson this afternoon. He's cleared me for travel."
    "Travel? What on Earth are you talking about?"
    "Up to London. I borrowed the doctor's telephone, the palace is expecting me tomorrow."
    The room went silent as her family digested what she had just told them.
    "What's brought this on?" Robert inquired, "It seems very sudden."
    "It came to me suddenly," Darrel shrugged, "I'm tired of fighting the inevitable."
    "We don't know it is the inevitable."
    Darrel sighed, "Yes, we do. We've no way of stopping their majesties, and I'd rather just leave now, then drag it out through a custody court."
    "But..."
    "Papa, I've made up my mind."
    "This is absolutely outrageous!" Cora cried, "We can fight this my darling. Do not give up hope!"
    "Even if I don't go to the Palace tomorrow, I will still become Queen, and their majesties have a point. It is for the best if I move to London, in order to prepare."
    "But..." Mary started.
    "My mind is made up," Darrel said firmly, "whether I have your support or not, I'm going."
    The family sat in awkward silence for a moment until Carson saved them by announcing that dinner was ready, which was eaten in silence.

    After dinner, Darrel went up to her room and began to pack when the door opened and Thomas walked in, with the travelling cases.
    "Carson told me to bring these up," Thomas informed, setting them down.
    "Thank you Mr. Barrow," Darrel nodded.
    "M'lady."
    Thomas turned to leave, but Darrel called out to him.
    "Close the door," Darrel ordered.
    Thomas hesitated for a moment, not wanting to get in trouble for being alone, unsupervised, with his employer's daughter, but decided that he wanted to hear what she had to say, and shut the door.
    "I am sorry Thomas," Darrel said softly, "I shouldn't have threatened you in that manner. I won't try and justify my words...but I don't want us to part on bad terms. I apologize."
    "You are forgiven," Thomas nodded, "I'm sorry I hit you."
    "Don't be. I deserved it. Besides, the blow brought me back into reality. In a way, thank you."
    "Well, I shall slap you more often."
    Darrel chuckled.
    "Can I ask why you are leaving?" Thomas inquired.
    "I thought about it all morning, and I've decided that I can't stay here," Darrel announced, "I can't look at Mama and Papa anymore, not after I almost ran away. I feel so guilty. Until I can forgive myself, for nearly wrecking their lives, I can't be around them."
    "You know, I'm going to miss you."
    "I'll miss you too Thomas."
    Thomas gave her a shy smile, as tears formed in his eyes.
    "Don't go all soft on me Thomas," Darrel requested, with a forced smile, "this isn't goodbye. It's merely a...goodbye for now. I shall be back."
    "It won't be the same without you," Thomas shrugged.
    Darrel smiled and held out her hand. Thomas approached her, and shook the extended hand, then pulled her into a hug. As the two pulled apart, the door opened and Carson walked in.
    "What's going on here?" Carson demanded, "Mr. Barrow, I told you to polish the silverware!"
    "I ran into Mr. Barrow on my way upstairs," Darrel lied, "and requested that he bring up my cases, so I don't have to worry about that tomorrow morning."   
   "Ah, my apologies m'lady."
    "Don't worry Mr. Carson. Thank you Mr. Barrow, you ought to be getting back to the polishing."
    "M'lady," Thomas bowed and followed Carson out.
    Once the door had been shut behind them, Darrel sat on the edge of her bed, and started to cry.

    The next day, Darrel was outside, watching her cases being loaded onto the back of the car when her family came out the front door, and the servants through the back.
    "I've had time to think about it," Robert announced, "and I understand and respect, your decision."
    "Thank you Papa," Darrel smiled, giving him a hug.
    "I will miss you my darling girl."
    "I will miss you dearly, Papa."
    Robert gave her a kiss on the cheek and wiped the tears from his eyes. Darrel turned to Cora, who already had tears running down the side of her face.
    "Mama," Darrel whispered, as she went to hug her, "it is not too late for you and Papa. I know you can get through this. Let my absence be an opportunity to start again."
    "I'll try," Cora nodded, "good luck dear."
    "Thank you."
    Darrel tore away from her mother and turned to Mary, who was doing her best to not show any emotion.
    "Can I get a hug, or is that too sentimental for you?" Darrel smirked.
    "Don't tease me," Mary said sternly, "not today."
   "Well, no one else is going to do it."
    "Goodbye darling. Don't let those dreadful people drive you mad."
    Darrel laughed and gave her a hug, then turned to her brother-in-laws.
    "Things won't be the same without you," Henry sighed.
    "Good luck with the business," Darrel smiled, shaking his hand, "and don't let Mary keep you from achieving your dreams."
    Henry chuckled as Darrel turned to Tom, and threw herself into his open arms.
    "I'll miss you Darrel," Tom said softly.
    "I'll miss you too," Darrel replied, "write to me if you need someone sane to talk to."
    "Will do."
    Darrel detached herself, tears streaming down her cheeks then went over to the staff, where she walked over to Mrs. Hughes.
    "Thank you for everything Mrs. Hughes," Darrel smiled, "I will never forget all the things you did for me when I was a little girl."
    "You will always be that little girl to me m'lady," Mrs. Hughes assured, "even when you're ruling England."
    Darrel laughed and extended her hand, which a shocked Mrs. Hughes shook. Darrel went down the line, nodding to all members of staff, before stopping in front of Mrs. Patmore and Daisy.
    "Well Mrs. Patty," Darrel grinned, "the kitchens won't be chaotic, now that I'm gone."
    "I might find it a bit too quiet now m'lady," Mrs. Patmore shrugged.
    "You still have Daisy."
    "M'lady!" Daisy exclaimed, then started to giggle.
    "Goodbye you two. Thank you for putting up with me over the years."
    Darrel shot a quick glance at Thomas, who was clearly struggling not to cry, then climbed into the passenger's seat of the car, with Tom driving. She gave a wave to everybody and they drove off.
    "This doesn't seem right," Robert sighed.
    "Somehow it does," Cora shrugged, taking his hand, "she's going to play the role she was born play."