Chapter Thirteen | Ill

Isobel ran up the grand staircase and into Darrel's room, where the young girl was lying on the floor, next to the bed, unconscious. Isobel knelt next to her.
    "Darrel?" She asked softly, "Can you hear me?"
    Isobel checked her pulse as the rest of the family arrived.
    "I've called Dr. Clarkson," Cora informed.
    "Good," Isobel nodded, "Tom, can you get her back into bed?"
    Tom went up to Darrel, picked her up and gently placed her back into her bed.
    "What happened?" Edith asked, almost shaking.
    "I'm not sure," Isobel replied.

A few minutes later, Carson arrived with Dr. Clarkson.
    "What happened?" Dr. Clarkson inquired.
    "According to Anna, she fainted," Isobel replied.
    Dr. Clarkson checked Darrel's pulse. At that moment, Darrel's eyes opened and she groaned.
    "Lady Darrel, can you hear me?" Dr. Clarkson asked.
    Darrel nodded. Dr. Clarkson grabbed the glass of water on the bedside table and tilted some in her mouth. Darrel tried to sit up, but Dr. Clarkson pushed her back down.
    "Lie down for a few minutes," Dr. Clarkson advised.
    Dr. Clarkson advised for everyone except for Isobel to leave, in order to give Darrel some space.

All the others headed into the drawing room.
    "Poor darling," Mary sighed.
    "This is all your fault," Cora accused, glaring at her husband.
    "What did I do?" Robert snapped.
    "I'm not sure. But knowing you, you had something to do with it.
    Robert let out an exasperated sigh, then turned to Carson, "Can you ask Anna to step in here?"
    "Certainly my lord," Carson nodded, and left.
    The family sat in silence, not knowing what to say and a few minutes later, Anna entered and curtsied.
    "M'lord?" She inquired.
    "Anna, can you tell us what happened with Darrel?" Mary requested.
    "I had gone up with her dinner. She came towards me to get the tray, and then she just fell."
    Mary nodded, her anxiety rising.
    "Will she be alright?" Dickie asked.
    "I'm sure Cousin Isobel and Dr. Clarkson know what they're doing," Tom assured.

    A little later, Dr. Clarkson entered.
    "Well?" Robert inquired, standing up.
    "She'll be perfectly fine," Dr. Clarkson assured.
    "What happened?" Edith asked.
    "She hasn't eaten any food in a week. It appears she was hiding it in the garbage bin."
    "Thank you Doctor," Cora nodded.
    Dr. Clarkson bowed and left.

    The next morning, Robert headed to Darrel's room and found her eating breakfast.   
    "I'm glad to see you eating again," Robert nodded.
    Darrel gave him a weak smile. Robert sat on the side of his daughter's bed.
    "How are you feeling?" Robert asked.
    "Better," Darrel shrugged.
    "Why weren't you eating, my darling?"
    "I didn't feel like it. All the things going on..."
    Robert sighed and gave her a kiss on the head. A few minutes later, Carson entered.
    "His majesty and his grace are in the library, my lord," Carson informed, "they say it's urgent."
    "Thank you Carson," Robert nodded, then turned to his daughter, "make sure you finish it."
    Darrel nodded and Robert left, followed by Carson.

    Robert entered the library, where the two men were waiting impatiently.
    "Well," the King said, "I've given you a week. What's your decision?"