Chapter Five | London

A few weeks later, everyone was in the dining room, having breakfast

A few weeks later, everyone was in the dining room, having breakfast. Even Cora, who had a meeting at the hospital that morning. Edith and Rose enjoyed having breakfast with the others when they were at Downton to spend more time with the family, and Mary did it out of habit since she usually had agent work to do afterwards. Robert had the paper and suddenly threw it down on the table, letting out an aggravated groan.

"What is the matter, Papa?" Edith asked.

"Her Majesty put a photo of Darrel in the papers," Robert sighed.

"What?" Darrel exclaimed.

Robert tossed the paper at his daughter, who picked it up and read the article on the front page: 'Introducing: Princess Elizabeth Darrel Crawley of Wales.'

"Elizabeth?" Rose questioned, looking over Darrel's shoulder.

"It was the Queen's idea. So of course, I do not call her that," Robert explained.

"Where on Earth did she get the photo?" Mary added.

It was a recent photo taken at Edith and Bertie's wedding. Someone cut the rest of the photo so it was only Darrel. Even though it was not an overly fancy dress, Darrel did look quite nice in the picture, so it was not the worst one for the public to see.

"She is the Queen of England," Darrel shrugged, assuming that explained everything.

"This is such a mess!" Robert informed.

"I wish you had not put us in this mess," Cora snapped. "It is all your fault."

"Cora, if I had not had that affair, Darrel would not be here."

"Stop playing that card! It's childish and pathetic! Yes, I love Darrel, but that is no excuse for what you did. You tore this family apart!"

"Mama!" Edith gasped, surprised that Cora had such an outburst of rage.

Robert stormed out of the dining room, angry at the Queen for announcing to the world that Darrel was the heiress. He also could not stand hearing Cora continuously blame him for what happened. He hoped that one day she would forgive him and they could finally move on.

Cora got to her feet and turned to Carson, "Carson, please have Mrs Hughes set up a bedroom for His Lordship. Preferably in the bachelor's corridor."

"Yes, m'lady," Carson bowed, then left.

"I hate that you are fighting because of me," Darrel sighed.

"It is not your fault, darling," Cora assured.

"But it is. If I was not born..."

"Darling, it is not your fault that you are alive. Please do not blame yourself."

Cora left for her meeting, but Darrel was unconvinced that it was not her fault. Edith started to reassure her younger sister, but Darrel excused herself to go to school.