Chapter Thirty-One | Meeting the Family

The next morning after breakfast, Darrel was on her way back up to her room when she saw Sebastian entering the hall.
    "Sebastian!" Darrel smiled, rushing to give him a hug.
    "Hello," Sebastian smiled, planting a kiss on her cheek.
    "Thank you for getting here so quickly."
    "No worries. As I said yesterday, you really are saving me from their majesties."
    "Well, see if you are thanking me after dinner tonight. I think my parents and Granny are ready to eat you alive."
    "I can stand my ground."
    "Just promise me that no matter what they say to you, you will remain respectful as you defend yourself."
    Sebastian sighed, "Yes, of course."
    "Thank you."
    Sebastian smiled as Mary entered the hall.
    "Ah, Sebastian, the brave warrior who is ready to face Granny's wrath," Mary teased.
    "Don't scare him off," Darrel smirked.
    "I am simply preparing him. Dinner will be much worse."
    "Thank you for your support."
    Mary rolled her eyes and walked off.
    "Do you want to go for a ride?" Darrel offered.
    "That sounds lovely," Sebastian nodded, "I better change."
    "I must do so as well. I'll meet you back down here shortly."
    The two of them hugged and went upstairs.

    Later that day, the two of them had their horses tied to a tree, and they were sitting nearby.
    "So, what are you going to tell Granny this evening?" Darrel sighed.
    "I plan to be perfectly polite," Sebastian shrugged.
    "I know that. But Granny is going to be asking questions, and you better prepare the right answers for her."   
    "Do not fret. I thought of answers for the obvious questions that will be asked."
    "Really?"
    "Really. Please trust me Darrel. I love you, and I know how important it is for the Crawleys to accept our engagement."   
    Darrel smiled and gave him a kiss.

    That evening, Darrel entered the drawing room to find her parents, her sister, her brother-in-laws already there.
    "Granny's not here yet?" Darrel said, shocked.
    "Her chauffeur had a family emergency," Robert explained, "she's getting a ride with Isobel."
    "Papa, I know that you do not approve of Sebastian, but can you at least not say anything to make the situation worse?"
    "I love you my darling, and I'm happy if Sebastian makes you happy. However, I must make sure that he is good enough for you. If he survives tonight, I will happily support you."
    Darrel rolled her eyes and went over to discuss with Mary, Tom and Henry.
    "We can still run interference," Tom reminded.
    "No, he has to do this on his own," Darrel sighed, "I just hope he won't refuse to visit Downton ever again after this."
    "Sebastian loves you, and you love Downton."
    Darrel shrugged as the door opened and Sebastian walked in, followed by Violet, Isobel and Dickie.   
    "Hello Granny," Mary greeted, going over to hug her grandmother.
    Violet did not reply as she studied Sebastian, who had gone over to talk to Tom and Henry.
    "He is quite rude," Violet said softly.
    "Why do you say that?" Mary sighed.
    "He goes to greet those two, before the guest of honour."
    "Honestly Granny, he is the guest of honour."
    Violet gave her an annoyed look as Sebastian approached them. He took Violet's hand and kissed it.
    "Lady Grantham," he bowed, "it is a pleasure to meet you once more."
    "Sebastian," Violet nodded, "I wish I could say the same. Tell me, are you ready for my granddaughter to tame your wild habits?"
    Before Sebastian had a chance to respond, Isobel came up to them and extended her hand to Sebastian.
    "Hello your highness," Isobel smiled, "I don't believe we have met."
    "No, unfortunately not," Sebastian replied, giving her a slight bow.
    "I'm Isobel Grey, the Baroness Merton."
    "Of course. I read about your marriage in the papers. And, obviously Darrel has told me about you."
    "All good I hope."
    "Well, if it's Darrel, one cannot be so sure," Violet smirked.
    The door opened and Carson walked in, announcing dinner.
    "This'll be exciting," Henry muttered to Darrel as they headed towards the dining room.
    "Stop teasing me," Darrel whispered sharply, "Mary's rubbed off on you."
"Indeed."

    Once in the dining room, Darrel learnt with much annoyance that Sebastian had been seated next to Violet, but luckily was also next to Isobel. Meanwhile, Darrel was sitting in between her father and Tom.
    "Does the engagement mean that you'll be in London more often?" Cora inquired.
    "Of course," Sebastian nodded, "I'm in the midst of speaking with my father to arrange an agreeable plan."
   "So you need your father's permission for everything?" Violet asked.
    "Not exactly. But I cannot leave Spain for years. I need to make appearances every now and then, for ceremonies and such."
   "And what does your father say about this marriage?"
    "He believes that Darrel is a very fine girl, and is quite pleased with my choice."
    "See, you just described Darrel as a girl. Does that imply that even you do not believe that she is old enough to get married?"
    Darrel rolled her eyes.
    "We do not intend to marry anytime soon," Sebastian informed, "we shall be waiting at least a year, if not more."
    "That is very reasonable," Dickie nodded, "it will give you a chance to see if the two of you are really meant to be."
    "I couldn't agree more my lord."
    "Won't it be difficult?" Robert said, "I know you said that you hope to be in London, but you will still in be in Spain quite often. Do you believe that it will work?"
    "Yes, I do. I think that when two people are in love, they will be able to be together under any circumstances."
    "Do you think you will be able to resist the temptations?"
    "I beg your pardon Lord Grantham, I do not understand what you mean."
    "Oh, just the Spanish temptations...the female ones."
    Mary leant over Tom and placed an hand on her sister's arm.
    "Let me know if you would like me to do interference," Mary whispered.   
    Darrel gave her a grateful smiled, "I think he's alright for now."
    "We haven't even gotten to main course yet."   
    "They don't waste time."
    Mary smirked and resumed her seat.
    "I will not be tempted," Sebastian assured.
    "Really?" Cora replied, "Because the papers would suggest otherwise."
    "Papers love to gossip. Especially about the monarch."
    "So you're denying having a new girlfriend every month?"
    "I am often seen with different girls every month," Sebastian said calmly, "however, I do not court each of them."
    "And do you plan to court many girls...or be seen with many girls during this year of waiting?" Violet asked.
    "Of course not."
    "How can we be so sure?"
    "If I break my promise, you will see it in the papers."
   Violet glared at him, which sent shivers down Darrel's spine. The dinner was eaten in silence for the rest of the entrée. Every now and then, small casual conversations were started out of politeness. When the main course was served, Violet smirked.
    "So you believe that everything you do is reported to the public?" Violet laughed.
    "Yes," Sebastian nodded.
    "Except your secret engagement to that duchess last year."
    Sebastian turned pale, as Darrel gasped.
    "There were reasons for that engagement, and reasons for why it ended," Sebastian said softly.
    "And how do we know that this won't happen again?" Robert demanded, "You have a record of treating your fiancées as if they are toys!"
    "I am sorry, but I do not wish to discuss my previous engagement."
    "That is too bad. If you wish to marry my daughter, then you will share this experience with us."
    "Leave him alone," Cora warned.
    "What are you saying?" Robert cried, "Do you really believe that Sebastian is good enough for our daughter?"
    "They chose each other Robert, and poor Sebastian has suffered from enough interrogation for this evening."   
    "How dare you change sides like this!"
    "This isn't about taking sides. This is about supporting Darrel's decisions, and respecting Sebastian's privacy."
    Robert stood up abruptly, shaking the table.
    "I will not allow my darling girl to marry this two-faced, lying, unfaithful bastard!" He roared.
    His words shocked the room into silence. Sebastian got up.
    "I believe that is my cue," he said quietly, then bowed to Cora, "thank you Lady Grantham."
    Sebastian walked swiftly towards the door.
    "And don't you dare come back!" Robert cried, as the prince left.
    "You took it too far Papa," Darrel said, a tear rolling down her cheek, as she rushed after her fiancé.
    Robert glared at his wife as he sat back down.
    "She has a point," Mary said, clearly exasperated, "I understand and respect why you want to make sure that Sebastian is good enough. But to call him names is out of line."   
    "Darrel can do so much better than him," Violet assured.
    "Even if she can, she doesn't want to. They love each other. So stop meddling and let them be."

    Meanwhile, Darrel had entered Sebastian's bedroom, where he was lying on his bed, staring up at the ceiling. When he saw her enter, he sat up.
    "That went well," Sebastian said sarcastically.
    Darrel rolled her eyes and closed the door, "Right. You don't have to discuss your previous engagement with my father, but you will have to with me."