Chapter Thirty | Family Dinner

That evening, Darrel was dining with her parents, Mary, Henry, Tom, Isobel, Dickie and Violet, all whom were glad that Darrel had returned for a visit.
    "How is the automobile shop?" Darrel asked her two brother-in-laws.
    "It's going well," Tom nodded, "hopefully we'll be expanding soon."
    "That is brilliant."
    "Thanks," Henry smiled.
    "Has Mary accepted it yet?" Darrel said, with a smirk.
   "Don't tease me," Mary said sharply, "I approve since he is not racing the cars, merely manufacturing and selling them."
    Darrel rolled her eyes then turned back to Tom.
    "Can I come see the shop before I go back to London?" Darrel requested, "I haven't been in months."
    "Of course you can," Tom replied, "you're always welcome there."
    "Thank you. Also, I was wondering if at one point, one of you could teach me to drive."
    Robert slammed his wine glass down on the table.
    "Teach you to drive?" Robert gasped, "Don't be ridiculous!"
     "I'm not," Darrel shrugged, "it's normal for women to learn how to drive."
    "Not especially."
    "Edith's been driving since before the war."
    "She's also older than you. I don't think it's safe."
    "I'll have Tom and Henry to teach me!"
    "This is ridiculous."
    Darrel sighed.
    "I applaud Lady Darrel's wish to learn how to drive," Dickie announced, "it's refreshing to see someone young not want to have to depend on others to get around."
    "Thank you," Darrel nodded.
    Robert rolled his eyes, "We can discuss this later."
    Darrel let out a sigh and got back to dinner. The family ate in awkward silence for a few minutes before Isobel broke it.
    "How are things up in London?" Isobel inquired.
    "Not terrible," Darrel replied, "their majesties are planning a ball for me."
    "A ball? What for?"
    "It's a combination of me being the new princess, and my fifteenth birthday. I don't know any details yet, but hopefully you'll all come."
    "Of course we will," Mary nodded, "I've always wanted to see the inside of the palace."
    Darrel rolled her eyes.
    "And what's this I hear about you being engaged?" Violet asked.
    "You've heard correctly," Darrel shrugged, "I am engaged to Sebastian Carlos."
    "Congratulations," Henry nodded.
    "Thank you."
    Darrel smiled and got back to her dinner.
    "I'm sorry, we cannot pretend that this is normal!" Violet cried.
    Robert sighed and nodded to Carson, who signalled to all of the servants to get out.
    "Do stop making such a show of yourself Mama," Robert groaned.   
   "Honestly Robert. How are you allowing this?" Violet gasped, "Darrel is merely a child! She has her life ahead of her to find a man."
    "Darrel is turning fifteen shortly. Besides, if Sebastian makes her happy, then we must all support that."
    "I'm sorry but I don't think I can."
    "It doesn't matter what you think," Isobel reminded, "it is up to Darrel."
    "Darrel is confused."
    Mary exchanged a look with her younger sister, and the two of them promptly rolled their eyes.
    "Granny, please don't worry," Darrel assured, "everything will be fine. I love Sebastian."
    "You think you love Sebastian, which is quite different," Violet snapped.
    "I think Darrel knows how she feels," Isobel said wisely.
    "Not necessarily. Once again, she is young. Young people don't know how they feel."
    "Oh Granny," Mary sighed, rolling her eyes, "Darrel has loved Sebastian since she first met him four years ago."
    "Mary!" Darrel exclaimed.
    "What? It's true."
    "As her family, we need to support and respect Darrel's decisions," Cora reminded.
    "No!" Violet protested, "As her family, we must protect Darrel from doing anything she will come to regret, such as marrying Sebastian Carlos."
    "I love him Granny," Darrel said firmly.
    "Have you read everything that the papers say about him?"
    "Yes, I have. Please don't believe everything that they say about him. It's all rumours to please the public."
    "How can you be so sure?"
    "Because when he's with me, he's quite different than what he is depicted as being."
    "I think all of this is ridiculous."
    Darrel sighed, "What if Sebastian were to come here? He's in London, I can get him to come up, and then you can meet him again."
    "Oh, so he can charm his way out of this?" Violet snapped.
    "He is charming. But there is nothing he needs to charm his way out of. I think it may put your mind at rest."
    "I think it's a good idea," Cora nodded, "then we all have a chance to see him again, and this time as your fiancé."
    "Good. Then it's settled."
   The remaining portion of dinner was eaten in silence. Unable to predict his mother's mood, Robert decided to not allow the servants to reenter the room.

    After dinner, Darrel went to the phone and called Buckingham Palace.
    "Hello, this is Lady Darrel Crawley, may I speak to his Royal Highness, the Prince of Spain please?" Darrel requested.
    "Certainly your highness," the man on the other side nodded.
    Darrel waited a few minutes before she was connected to her fiancé.
    "I keep forgetting how hard it is to call the Palace," Darrel groaned.
    "Indeed," Sebastian replied, "how are you? Is everything going well?"
    "Quite well. I'm going to stay here for a few days."
    "No, please come back. Protect me from their majesties asking me for every detail about you."
   "Why are they doing that?"
    "For the ball."
    "Of course. Then my timing is perfect. I need you to come up to Downton."
    "Any reason in particular?"
    "Granny freaked out about the fact that we're getting married. I thought that if you came, and dined with us, then she'll get to know you better, and then accept the fact that I'm marrying you," Darrel shrugged.
    "Why is she against it?" Sebastian asked, "I thought all she cared about was class and money."
    "Usually she is. But she, like everyone else, reads the gossip about you in the papers."
   "Ah..."
    "Exactly. So, tomorrow?"
     "This is your country, in which I am powerless. So I must obey the monarch."
    Darrel laughed, "I'll see you tomorrow."
    "I love you Darrel," Sebastian said.
    "I love you too. Goodnight."
    "Night."
    Darrel hung up and walked off, smiling.

    Darrel entered the drawing room to find Tom, Henry and Mary sitting and talking.
    "Where are the others?" Darrel inquired, sitting down next to Tom.
    "Gone home," Henry informed, "and Lord and Lady Grantham went up to bed."
   "No doubt to discuss my wish to drive."
    "Most likely."
   Darrel rolled her eyes.
    "Poor Sebastian," Mary sighed, "we'll all need to run interference tomorrow to protect him from Mama, Papa and Granny."
   "No, I don't think we should," Darrel replied, "I think the only way I can convince everyone to be on board with our engagement is for Sebastian to earn their respect. He needs to defend himself."
    "Is that wise? You might lose him after tomorrow."
    "I would like to think that he loves me enough that he will still marry me after dining with Granny. Both of you survived it."
    "Barely," Tom smirked.   
    "But you still did."
    "I wish him luck," Henry nodded.
    "So do I..."