Chapter Twenty-Three | The New Princess

When Darrel arrived in London, footmen from the Palace were at the platform to take her cases, and a car was waiting for her. Darrel climbed in, and it drove off to Buckingham Palace. When she entered the Palace, her biological family was waiting for her, and she curtsied.
    "Elizabeth," Queen Mary smiled, "I'm so glad you've come to your senses at last."
    "Mother," David said warningly, then said to his sister, "I hope the journey was satisfactory?"
    "Yes it was, your highness," Darrel replied.
    "I'm glad. Let me show you to your room."
    "Thank you sir."
    David led his sister up the stairs, and the footmen with the cases followed.
    "You know what we have to do?" George V assumed.
    "Keep her away from the Crawleys," his wife supplied.
    "Exactly. We can't confuse the public by having her associated with both families. Besides, there's too much room for gossip that way."
    "When does the lawyer come?"
    "Tomorrow. For now, at least until she's settled in, try to pretend that you like her."
    "Fine."
   The King nodded and went upstairs.

    Meanwhile, Darrel and David had entered one of the many bedrooms in the Palace. There was a large bed, with a red velvet canopy, a sitting area, complete with two armchairs, a sofa and a coffee table, a dressing table, a desk, a large closet, plus a dresser.
    "Father made sure to give you one of the best bedrooms in the Palace," David announced.
    "That was kind of him," Darrel nodded, as the footmen set all her cases down, then left.
    "I will say it again, but if you need any help at all, just ask."
    "Thank you David."
   The door opened and a young woman, with light red hair, tanned skin and brown eyes hurried in and curtsied. She was wearing a simple black dress and black shoes, with no heel.
    "Your highnesses," she said.
    "Elizabeth, this is your lady's maid, Lily," David informed.
    "Ah..." Darrel said in return as she looked out the window, to see a lovely view of the Royal Gardens.
    "Well, I'll leave you to unpack. Meet us in the drawing room at six? Ask any of the staff members where that is."
    "Until six."
    "Your highness."
    David bowed and walked out, as Darrel let out a sigh.
    "It's an honour to work for you, your highness," Lily smiled.
    Darrel shrugged and went to open her cases.
    "I'll let you organize the clothes as you see fit, since you'll be the one who finds them," Darrel informed.
    "That's very kind, ma'am," Lily replied, as she started to unpack.
    "Lily, can I ask you a question?" Darrel inquired, sitting on her bed.
    "Certainly ma'am."
    "What are they like? Honestly?"
    "They are very good employers ma'am."
    "This isn't a test," Darrel informed, "can you answer as a person, not a lady's maid?"
    "I couldn't your ma'am," Lily nodded, "it would feel wrong."
    "Well then, you answered my question."
    "Ma'am?"
    "If you actually liked them, you would have just told me so."
    Lily did not reply and continued to unpack.
    "What do you usually do?" Darrel inquired.
    "I was head housemaid ma'am," Lily replied, "but whenever a female guest comes, without a lady's maid, I filled in...and got an excuse from my usual duties."
    "Heavens, that's different from what I'm used to."
    Lily shrugged.
    "Well, I must be annoying you, so I shall let you continue in peace," Darrel announced.
    Darrel took out a novel from her bag and lay on her bed, reading.
A while later, Lily had finished unpacking, and looked at the time.
    "You ought to start preparing for dinner, your highness," Lily announced. "Their Majesties appreciate punctuality."
    "Is anything in my wardrobe suitable for dinner with their majesties?" Darrel inquired, closing her book.
    Lily decided not to reply, and took out a teal dress, with gold sequins and golden lace.
    "Oh, I forgot about that one," Darrel nodded, "I got it to copy my older sister."
    "It's very nice ma'am," Lily informed.
    After changing, Darrel put on a pearl necklace, a pair of silver studs, and white gloves, then slipped on black heels.
    "What would you like done with your hair?" Lily inquired, picking up the hairbrush.
    "I trust you," Darrel shrugged.
    "Very well ma'am."