Chapter Twenty-Six | The Announcement

Later that afternoon, Darrel and Sebastian were in the drawing room, once again, drinking tea. There had been an awkward silence between the two of them for the past hour, neither of them knowing what to say. Finally Sebastian broke it.
        "Can I make a suggestion?" He asked softly.
        "Sure," Darrel shrugged.   
        "I want to make sure that you're not going to back out of this. If I wasn't...who I was, do you really think you would have suggested marrying me?"
        "What are you saying?"
        "I'm saying we shouldn't rush into getting married. I am willing to be your fiancé, but I think we should wait for at least a year. After all, you're only fourteen."
        "I'll be fifteen soon."
        Sebastian sighed.
        "I love you Darrel," Sebastian nodded, "and I am so happy at the idea of being your husband. But I want to make sure this is what you really want."
        "Fine," Darrel groaned.
        Sebastian smiled and pulled her into a hug, kissing her on top of the head.
        "One more thing," Darrel added, "I don't want anyone to know about the fact that part of the reason why I suggested our marriage is so I can abdicate. If Papa finds out, he'll try and stop us, even if I tell him that I love you."
        "If that's what you want," Sebastian replied, "then I will support you."
        "Thank you...and would you mind if we say that you proposed to me?"
        "I was just about to say that. The times are changing...but, not fast enough for us."
        "Or at least, not fast enough for me."
        "True."
        Darrel smiled and gave him a kiss.

        "You're getting married?" Rosamund cried later that day, once she had gotten back from her charity event, "I go out for a few hours, and now you're engaged?"
        "Yes?" Darrel replied meekly.
        "You're fourteen!"
        "Almost fifteen."
        "Why are you getting married? You're fourteen!"
        "We're simply engaged Aunt Rosamund! We're waiting at least a year before we get married, probably longer."
       "But why?"
        "We know where this is headed. We love each other, so we want to make sure there won't be any others."
    Rosamund sighed as she sat down.
        "Are you sure this what you want my darling?" Rosamund sighed.
        "Yes Aunt Rosamund," Darrel nodded, "this is absolutely what I want."
        "Well, that's all that matters. Although, good luck telling your father."
        Darrel sighed.

        The next day, Darrel and Sebastian arrived at Buckingham Palace and were escorted into the drawing room, where the King, Queen, and Duke, were sitting.
        "Lady Elizabeth," her majesty said coldly, "you've returned."
        "Yes, your majesty," she curtsied.
        King George stood up and went to shake Sebastian's hand, "It is good to see you again, your highness."
        "The same to you, your majesty," Sebastian replied.
        "Tell me, why have you decided to grace this palace with your presence?"   
        "I was wondering if I could talk to you in private, sir."
        "Very well. Come into the library."
        The two of them walked at and Darrel took a seat next to her brother.
        "Any idea what this is about?" David inquired.
        "Well, he proposed to me yesterday," Darrel informed.
        "Without consulting your father?" The queen cried, "What has this world become?"
        "Hold your tongue," David ordered, then turned back to his sister, "I'm happy for you Lady Darrel."
        "Thank you," Darrel smiled.
        "But, I do agree with my mother. His Royal Highness seems to be someone who would follow proper protocol. Why wouldn't he ask His Majesty first?"
        "I think with the situation with Lord Grantham, he wasn't sure who he had to ask."
        "Ah, that makes sense."
        "Well, he is a good choice," her majesty nodded, "I approve."
        The door opened and Sebastian returned with the king.
        "I hear that congratulations are in order," King George nodded, "you have my blessing."
        "Thank you, your majesty," Darrel replied.
        "Will you stay for dinner Sebastian? We have quite a lot to celebrate."
        "Unfortunately, we must go up to Yorkshire sir," Sebastian informed, "we wish to announce our engagement to the Crawleys before they read about it in the newspaper."
        "Very well. We will celebrate when you two return," Queen Mary announced.
        "That is very kind. Thank you, your majesty."   
    Darrel got up, curtsied, and headed towards the door.   
        "David, show them out," King George ordered.
        "They know where the door is," David reminded.
        "It is polite to show guests out. After all, Prince Sebastian is your future brother-in-law."
        David rolled his eyes, but left the room with his sister, and her fiancé.
        "Well, this worked out even better than we'd hoped," Queen Mary smiled.
        "Indeed," King George nodded.
        "Have they chosen a date yet?"
        "Unfortunately they've decided to wait at least year until marrying. Now, if you excuse me, I must make a call. "
        "What? You must change that!"
        "I will try my darling. But, this is progress."
        The queen groaned as her husband walked out of the room.