Chapter Twenty | Leaving Day

The next morning, Darrel awoke earlier than usual and slipped on a farm dress. Darrel headed towards the servants' stairwell, in hopes of speaking to Thomas, when she bumped into Robert.
     "You're up early," Robert observed.
     "As are you," Darrel nodded.
     "I have an early meeting at the hospital. I was planning to grab a quick bite and head off."
     "Well, now you have company."
     Robert smiled and the two of them went down together.

     "So," Robert said, as he sat down for breakfast, "why are you up so early?"
     "I had trouble sleeping," Darrel shrugged.
     Robert nodded and picked up the newspaper. Darrel sat silently in her spot, playing with her food. In a few minutes, Robert stood up and noticed his daughter's plate.
     "Not hungry?" Robert assumed.
     "Not at the moment," Darrel said softly.
     "Are you alright my darling?"
     "Yes Papa, I just have quite a bit on my mind."
     "Why don't you walk down to the hospital with me? It can clear your mind."
     "I don't want to have to wait for you to finish your meeting Papa," Darrel groaned.
     "Well...you never walk with a chaperone, and your mama won't be down for a while longer. I dare say you can slip in without her seeing you," Robert shrugged.
     Darrel smiled, "Alright."
     "Let's take the dog for a walk. She ought to be down in the kitchens."
     "I'll meet you out front then."
     Robert smiled. Darrel got out of her chair and took the servants' staircase down to the kitchens, but ended up bumping into Thomas.
    "Are you leaving already m'lady?" He whispered.
     "Not yet," Darrel sighed, "Papa's already awake, and we're going to take the dog out for a walk. I'll leave when I get back. Hide my case in our spot."
     "How am I suppose to get away with that?"
     "Tell Mr. Carson you've gone for a smoke. I have to go."

     Darrel headed into kitchens, where she found Mrs. Patmore shooing Tiaa away from the freshly baked cake.
     "Morning Mrs. Patmore," Darrel greeted.
     "M'lady," Mrs. Patmore nodded, "this bloody dog...she's like you in dog form."
     Darrel laughed as she swiped a finger full of icing from the bowl.
     "Lady Darrel!" Mrs. Patmore exclaimed.
     "Sorry," Darrel shrugged, "I couldn't resist. It's quite delicious."
     "Honestly, between you and Daisy...you're going to send me..."
     Mrs. Patmore stopped as Carson entered the kitchens.
     "Lord Grantham asked me to find you," Carson informed, "he's waiting out front for you, m'lady."
     "Thank you Mr. Carson," Darrel smiled.
     Darrel picked Tiaa up and walked out. Carson gave Mrs. Patmore a disapproving look and left.

     "How are you feeling about the situation with the Queen and King?" Robert inquired.
     "I'm not sure," Darrel sighed.
     "If there's anything you need, anything you want me to do, all you have to do is ask."
     "Thank you Papa."
     In a few minutes, the two of them arrived at the hospital. Robert planted a kiss on the top of his daughter's head and walked in. Darrel sighed and stared down at the dog.
     "What am I going to do Tiaa?" Darrel inquired.
     The dog barked. Darrel knelt down in front of her and scratched Tiaa behind the ear.
     "Let's go," Darrel smiled.

When Darrel got back to the Abbey, she dropped Tiaa off inside the house and ran off.
Darrel entered the shed and found Thomas sitting on the ground, smoking.
"What are you doing here?" Darrel inquired.
Thomas got up, pushed past her and closed the door to the shed, standing in front of it.
"What is this?" Darrel asked.
"You're not going," Thomas said firmly.
"Excuse me?"