Bonus Chapter | Darrel's Childhood

A few years ago, in the servants' hall, they were all having their afternoon tea.   
    "Thomas," Carson said, "after this I need you to polish the silverware."
    "I just polished them the other day!" Thomas protested.
    "Well, maybe you need to do it again," Mrs. Hughes said sternly.
    Thomas shot her a quick glare, not liking being told what to do by the housekeeper. Just then, Anna entered the hall, holding 7-year-old Darrel's hand. The young child had her hair in two pigtails. All the servants stood up.
    "Good afternoon m'lady," Mrs. Hughes nodded, "how was school?"
    "Boring," Darrel replied, "is there cake?"
    "You'll have to ask Mrs. Patmore."
    "Mrs. Patty!" Darrel cried, running off towards the kitchen.
    "She really is a ball of energy that girl," Mrs. Hughes sighed, sitting back down.
    "It'll be interesting to see if she's still that energetic when she's older," Anna said, sitting down and helping herself to some food.
    In a few minutes, the servants were done with their tea and were about to start their afternoon duties.
    "Thomas, the silverware," Carson reminded.
    Thomas nodded as Darrel ran back in, her mouth covered in chocolate frosting, causing laughter among the others. Mrs. Hughes knelt down and wiped all the food off the child's face.
    "Thanks!" Darrel giggled.
    "No problem, m'lady," Mrs. Hughes replied.
    Darrel tore herself away from the housekeeper and went up to Thomas, who was on his way to do his polishing.
    "Tommy, will you play with me?" Darrel inquired.
    Thomas looked toward Carson, who sighed but nodded.
    "Of course m'lady," Thomas smiled.
    "Yay!" Darrel cried, jumping up and down.
   Darrel took hold of the footman's hand and pulled him towards the back door.
    "I do wish Lady Darrel wouldn't enjoy Thomas' company so much," Mrs. Hughes sighed.
    "I know," Carson nodded.
    "I fear that he'll be a bad influence."
    "I'll bring it up with his Lordship later."
    Mrs. Hughes nodded in approval.

    Meanwhile, Darrel had grabbed a football from the shed in the servants' courtyard and they went to the green area next to the Abbey.
    "Ready?" Thomas inquired, who was holding the football.
    "Yes!" Darrel cried, jumping up and down.
    Thomas rolled the football towards her. Darrel kicked it back, and Thomas managed to catch it.
    "Yeah!" Darrel exclaimed.
    Thomas smiled as he rolled it again.

    In the Abbey, Cora and Robert were in the library, watching Darrel and Thomas from the window.
    "I don't understand why she's so interested in playing with the servants," Cora sighed, "none of the other girls ever did."
    "Darrel likes to be different," Robert shrugged.
    "She is different. She'll never be like the others."
   Robert groaned, "Cora, we've been through this. We're to..."
    "No. We agreed that I am to raise her as if she is mine. But between the two of us, I don't have to pretend that she is something that she's not."
    Cora got up and left. Robert sighed and looked back outside.

   A little later, Darrel had kicked the football, but landed it right in Thomas' stomach, causing him to fall back.
    "Sorry Tommy!" Darrel cried, running up to him.
    Darrel knelt next to him and looked down. Thomas sat back up and launched himself at Darrel, and began tickling her. Thomas was grinning, as she shrieked with laughter.
    "Stop Tommy!" Darrel giggled.
    In a few minutes, Thomas released the girl from the torturous experience. Darrel lay flat down on the grass and looked up at the clouds. Thomas did so as well.
    "Have you learnt your lesson?" Thomas smirked.
    "Yes Tommy," Darrel nodded.
    Thomas gave her a genuine smile.
    "Tommy, have you ever thought of running away?" Darrel inquired.
    "To where?" Thomas replied.
    "I dunno. Away!"
    Thomas shrugged. In all honesty, he had. Nobody, with exception to Darrel liked him, because he was different, and in the eyes of the others, cold and evil.
    "I suppose so," Thomas replied.
    "I want to go away," Darrel informed, "will you come with me?"
    "Depends where we go."
    Darrel smiled as Robert opened the library window and stuck his head out.
    "Darrel darling, it's time to come in," he informed.
    "Okay," Darrel nodded, getting up, then turned to Thomas, "let's fly!"
    Thomas smiled. Darrel took the football in her arms. Thomas put her on his shoulders and ran towards the entrance.