Chapter Ten | Back Home

When Darrel and her father retuned to Downton, she went straight upstairs to her room. Cora was coming down the stairs and went up to her husband.
    "Robert, what happened?" Cora inquired.
    "Oh, now you're talking to me?" Robert snapped.
    Cora was rather taken aback by Robert's remark.
    "I care about Darrel," Cora reminded, "what happened?"
    "To be quite honest, I'm not sure," Robert sighed.
    "Did she say anything on the train?"
    "No. Hasn't spoken a word since we left the palace."
    Cora let out a deep sigh.
    "I don't want her in London, Robert. I want her here, with us," Cora informed.
    "Do you really?" Robert asked.
    "She's my daughter. I love her."
    Robert took Cora's hands into his, "Thank you, my darling."
    Cora detached herself from her husband and walked towards the library.

    Later that evening, Robert, Cora, Mary, Edith, Tom, Henry, Bertie, Isobel, Dickie and Violet were in the drawing room.
    "Can't we take them to court on some sort of custody issue?" Edith suggested.
    "I think it's more complicated with her being the future queen," Cora sighed.
    "We can't let them get away with this!"
    "For once, I agree with Edith," Mary nodded, "Darrel is your daughter, and our sister. Why shouldn't she remain here? Why can't they find a distant cousin?"
    "We could never win in court, and they would only find a distant relative if she abdicated," Robert explained.
    "So she needs to go live with the King and Queen?" Isobel gasped.
    "I'm still trying to figure that part out, but hopefully not."
    The door opened and Thomas walked in.
    "Is that dinner?" Cora inquired.
    "Not yet, m'lady," Thomas replied, "I've a message from Lady Darrel. She won't be coming down for dinner. She says she isn't well."
    "Thank you Barrow. Please have a tray brought up for her."
    "Certainly m'lady."
    Barrow bowed and left.
    "Poor darling," Edith sighed.

   A little later, Darrel was lying in bed, still in the same clothes she was wearing earlier that day when the door opened and Anna entered, with a tray of food.
    "I brought you some dinner m'lady," Anna said softly.
    "I'm not hungry," Darrel replied.
    "Would you like me to leave it here? In case you change your mind?"
    "No, thank you Anna."
    "Are you sure?"
    "I'm sure. Please Anna, just leave me alone."
   Anna sighed, "Yes m'lady."
    Anna bobbed a curtsy and left.

    "How is she?" Mrs. Hughes inquired when Anna returned to the servants' hall.
    "She didn't want any supper," Anna replied, setting the tray on the table.
    "Poor girl."

    Meanwhile in the dining room, the family was eating in silence until Violet broke it
    "What if the Queen tampered with the DNA results?" Violet suggested.
    "Why would she do that?" Isobel snapped.
    "She knows Darrel is her child, and she'd rather have her inherit than a complete stranger. Besides, it would make her affair look not as scandalous, if it didn't lead to a child."
    "But she wouldn't want to tell her husband about the affair," Edith reminded, "I'm sure it's wrecked their marriage."
    "It's still a possibility. My suggestion is getting a second one done."   

    The next morning, Darrel was lying in bed, still in her old clothes, when there was a knock on the door.
    "Come in," she sighed,
   The door opened and Robert walked in.
    "Morning dear," Robert said softly.
    "Morning," Darrel nodded.
    "If you'd rather stay up here, I can have a tray sent up."
    "I'm not hungry."
    "My darling girl, I know you're upset about the situation. But you can't starve yourself."
    "I'm not hungry."
    "Darling..."
    "Why do you even care? You're not my father!"
    Robert was taken aback as he chose his next words carefully, "I have cared for you for the past 14 years. I will always care for you, no matter what happens. You are my daughter, and nothing will change that."
    Darrel turned over so that she wasn't facing Robert, as the door opened and Thomas entered the room.
    "His Majesty wants to talk to you, my lord," Thomas informed, "he's in the library."
    "Thank you Barrow," Robert nodded, getting up, "can you have a tray brought up for Lady Darrel?"
    "Yes, my lord."
    Thomas bowed and left. Robert headed downstairs.