Chapter Forty-Four | Irresponsible Royals

A week later, Allen entered the servants' courtyard. He found Thomas fixing a clock while smoking a cigarette. Since he was in charge of guarding Darrel's room that evening, he had some time off after dinner before she turned in for the night.
    "Hello," Allen greeted, sitting across from him.
    "What are you doing out here?" Thomas asked. "Don't you need to protect all the royals in the house?"
    "There are seven other guards. I can take a break."
    Thomas nodded.
    "Is everything alright?" Allen inquired.
    "Of course," Thomas replied.
    "You don't seem quite yourself. You're less friendly than usual."
    "Ask anybody in this household. I'm not friendly."
    "That's not true. I've seen how you are with her highness."
    Thomas didn't reply and got back to fixing the clock.
    "Thomas...do you have a crush on the princess?" Allen gasped. "Is that why you've been acting off since his highness arrived? Are you jealous?"
    "Of course not!" Thomas snapped.
    "Come on, tell me what's wrong. I know something's bothering you, and I thought we were becoming friends."
    "It's weird having his highness here," Thomas admitted. "I watched Lady Darrel grow up, and it was a shock to everyone when we found out that she's a princess. But seeing her having a fiancé is even odder."
    Allen reached over, grabbed the box of cigarettes from Thomas and lit one for himself. Thomas gave him a playful glare.
    "Those are mine," he pouted.
    "I shared my chocolate with you," Allen reminded. "You owe me."
    "I wouldn't have taken the chocolate if I knew that you would hold it over me."
    "So, can I ask you a question?"
    "Ask, but I may not answer."
    "What's the deal with you and her highness? I understand that you've worked here for many years, but hasn't the majority of the staff watched her grow up?"
    "It's hard to explain, and it may seem weird to anybody else, since she's the daughter of my employer. But we've always considered each other friends...well, at least since she was six."
    "How did you become friends?"
    "Years ago, when I was still a footman, and she was only a child, I ducked into a shed about a twenty minute walk from here. It used to be a toolshed, but people seem to have forgotten about it. Anyway, she was there because she was hiding from her nanny. That was the first time we had an open conversation away from everyone else..."
    Thomas smiled at his memory, but Allen noticed a hint of sadness in his eyes.
    "That's a nice story. It's also interesting to hear childhood stories about the future queen," Allen nodded.
    "I have many childhood stories about her," Thomas assured. "She's not like anybody else I've ever met."
    "I haven't known her for very long, but I agree. I've never met any nobleman...or noblewoman like her. I've never seen one befriend their servant."
    Thomas' body tensed, which Allen observed. As a Royal Bodyguard he was able to pick up on subtle changes in people's behaviours.
    "Thomas, I'm sorry if I offended you," Allen said, looking down at his hands.
    "You didn't," Thomas shrugged.
    "You're lying."
    "I promise you, I'm not offended. I know that's how the world sees it: a weird friendship between a servant and his employer's daughter. And that's how I saw it when I was younger. But now I see it as a friendship between two people."
    "You're right Thomas, that's what it is. I'm sorry that I implied otherwise. If I'm being honest, I'm not used to interacting with people. When I'm in London the only people I talk to are the other guards and the Royal Family when spoken to."
    Thomas didn't respond and got back to fixing the clock. Allen looked around, trying to figure out what to say to make things better between them. At that moment, Darrel, Sebastian and JF ran into the servants' courtyard. They were out of breath and laughing.
    "What are you doing here?" Thomas asked.
    "Where are the others?" Allen added.
    "We lost them back in the village," JF shrugged.
    "Her highness knows all the side alleys between the houses," Sebastian explained. "We got tired of the guards so we made a run for it. I love freedom!"
    Thomas began to laugh, while Allen rolled his eyes then gave the three royals a disapproving look.
    "The three of you have bodyguards for a reason," Allen reminded.
    "You're beginning to sound like Benjamin," Darrel groaned.
    "Your highness, it is our duty to protect you. We can't do that if you run away from us."
    "Don't worry, I would never do that in London. But we're quite safe at Downton. Besides, I had Sebastian and JF with me."
    "Yes, we kept her safe," JF assured. "We are well trained to handle people who wish to cause us harm."
    "But we are of course not as well trained as you, as you are an elite royal bodyguard," Sebastian chuckled.
    "Ignore him. El eta muy borracho."
    "What?" Thomas asked.
    "No idea," Darrel shrugged. "But we did stop at the pub on the way back, and Sebastian is now intoxicated."
    "That's what I said," JF nodded.
    "Borracho, drunk. Borracho, drunk," Sebastian slurred.
    Darrel and JF couldn't help but grin. Allen did not try to hide his disapproval, while Thomas found it quite amusing.
    "We should get him to bed," Darrel suggested, then turned to her guard. "When the others arrive, tell them that we're alive, and only half-sorry."
    JF burst out laughing as he helped his cousin into the house. Allen let out an exasperated sigh then turned back to Thomas.
    "What are you grinning about?" Allen demanded.
    "It's funny!" Thomas protested.
    "No, it's not. Those three evaded their protection, and got drunk."
    "Only his highness is drunk."
    "This is serious! I know you are friends with her highness, but you need to remember who she is. We can't let her run off on her own."
    "She was with his highness and his excellency."
    Allen got up, "You don't understand this. Everything's changed, so you better catch up."
    Allen stormed into the house, leaving Thomas quite confused. He lit another cigarette and continued fixing the clock.

    Allen went up to Sebastian's bedroom to make sure all the royal members were safe until the others got back. Sebastian lay on his bed, only half alert while JF sat off to the side, grinning. Darrel stood in front of them, half-amused and half-concerned.
    "Is everything alright your highness?" Allen inquired.
    "All is well," Darrel assured. "He needs to sleep it off."
    "He'll be fine," JF promised. "Sebastian knows how to deal with intoxication."
    "Does he drink a lot in Spain?"
    "That would be an understatement."
    Darrel rolled her eyes. The door opened and Benjamin and Sidney entered with a few Spanish guards. None of them looked very pleased.
    "There you are!" Benjamin exclaimed. "What happened?"
    "¿Por qué harías algo como eso?" One of the Spanish guards demanded.
    "We ran off because we got tired of you following us," JF shrugged.
    "Eso fue muy irresponsable. Todos ustedes podrían haber estado en grave peligro."
    "Guarde sus conferencias para cuando estemos sobrios."
    "You got drunk?" Sidney cried.
    "No," Darrel assured. "Sebastian is very much drunk, JF is...tipsy, but I'm sober. So you and Benjamin succeeded in keeping me safe. Can you all leave now?"
    Sidney opened his mouth to respond, but then closed it again, since he could not come up with a good response.
    "Your Highness, you all behaved without your heads this evening," Benjamin scolded.
    "The village is safe," Darrel protested. "Besides, it's so small that if we had been in trouble, you would have heard our cries."
    "But..."
    "I'm not going to apologize for having some fun. If it makes you feel better, I will apologize for worrying you."
    Benjamin let out an exasperated sigh and stormed out of the room, no longer able to deal with the royal members. JF gave Darrel an approving smirk.
    "Todos pueden salir ahora. Estamos claramente a salvo y no lograrás que me disculpes," JF informed.
    The Spanish guards bowed their heads and left the room, followed by Sidney.
    "What did you say to them?" Darrel inquired.
    "That we are safe, and they won't be able to get an apology out of me," JF grinned.
    "You add much excitement to Downton."
    "This is nothing. Sebastian and I sneak out almost every night when we are back in Spain."
    "It's true," Sebastian nodded.
    The other two almost forgot that Sebastian was in the room, since he hadn't spoken in a few minutes. Darrel sat down next to him and ran her fingers through his hair.
    "How are you feeling?" Darrel asked.
    "Borracho," Sebastian replied.
    "I can see that. Get some sleep Seb. You'll feel better in the morning."
    Darrel planted a kiss on his cheek, then headed out of the room. Once the door closed, JF approached his cousin, his arms crossed over his chest.
    "What's wrong?" Sebastian groaned.
    "What happened to you this evening?" JF demanded.
    "Nothing..."
    "I thought we were going to have a drink or two...why did you drink so much?"
    "You sound like my parents."
    "No, your parents would be screaming at you right now. And if you don't answer me, I'll tell Their Majesties that sneaking off tonight was your idea."
    Sebastian let out a heavy sigh, "I thought if I had a drink it would build up my courage."
    "Your courage? What for?" JF replied.
    "Para decirle a todos que quiero abdicar y mudarme a Inglaterra."
    "Abdicate?!"
________________________________

Hello everyone,
Thank you for reading this chapter, I hope you enjoyed it.
This book now has over 12.9k reads! I can't believe this, thank you all so much for your continuing support.
Until the next update, please stay safe ❤️
-Writographer