The Ask

Over the last few weeks, banners, posters, and announcements had been filling the school with buzz. Seniors were excited about prom that was approaching in a couple weeks. A lot of girls had been getting prom- posals over the weeks. Boys had been going crazy about planning these asks. No boy would want to repeat what another boy had gone to ask the girl of their dreams. Quinn the runner back, asked the head cheerleader by asking the marching band to play. Owen, the wide receiver had asked Lauren a shy girl by giving her a book that had each page filled with a word that would create sentenced to ask her. All in all, the asks to prom were the biggest deals ever!

"Miss. Crash, snap out of your daydream and answer the question," Mr. Drows the physics teacher snapped at me.

"E=mc squared," I blurted out. It was the first thing that popped into my head.

Snickers erupted throughout the classroom. Mr. Drows glared and snickers turned into smirks.

He shook his head and clicked his tongue in disappointment," Pay attention will you Olivia?"

I nodded, embarrassed and began to pay attention.
***
It was lunch and I was sitting with my friends. Austin and his friends were there too. Sophia was talking to Josh and Megan was talking to Andrew. From the slight scratching on Josh's Neck and the blossoming blush on Sophia's cheek, they were talking about very interesting things.

"The weather is perfect for the beach isn't it guys?" Austin asked everyone at the table.

Megan, Sophia, and the guys turned to face Austin.

"It is, but my cousins are coming over," Megan explained.

"I'm babysitting for my neighbor," Andrew spoke up.

"I'm not up for the beach," Sophia denied his offer.

"I'd love to go!" Josh chirped. Austin's conspicuously glared at him," Oh just remembered I'm working tonight,"

"What about you Liv?"He turned to face me, a hopeful expression on his face.

"Sure, it is a Friday after all," I agreed.

As soon as the others returned to their conversations Austin wiped his mouth with a napkin and looked at me," So is this gonna be our first date?"

"If you'd like to have one, you're gonna need to ask," I teased.

"Okay then," He stood up on the table.

"Excuse me everyone?" He shouted. "Yeah I need your attention, because otherwise my girlfriend Olivia won't go on a date with me," The room fell silent and all eyes turned to us.

I looked my friends in desperate need and they raised their arms in mock surrender.

Austin climbed off and kneeled down on his knees. My cheeks were more red than ever.

"Will you do me the honor and let me take you out on our first date?" He asked, his voice dropping to his normal speaking level.

I opened my mouth, and closed it. His smile dropped a bit, but he looked hopeful.

"Say yes! Say yes! Say yes!" The guys and girls cheered.

With one wave of Austin's hand, the room turned utterly silent again.

"Yes," I mumbled.

"She said yes!" Austin screamed and the room erupted in whoops and girlish screams.

"You suck," I whispered as I slapped his arm.

"Your wish is my command," He smiled as he gently pressed his lips to mine, and the room got louder.
***
"I thought you had plans Megan?" I asked her.