Chapter 2

I was at my room, striking my sword against the bedpost muttering, "Mother! Suitors! Marriage!"

The rage built up like deep water currents. With each chop that I swung, there was a relief. But it quickly melted away when a reminder of my life sentence echoed in my head. 

My mother then entered, "Once there was an ancient kingdom..."

"Ahh! Mom! Ancient kingdom!" I moaned.

She ignored my complaint and continued. She used the chess board game to show imagery to the story:

"Its name long forgotten, ruled by a wise and fair king who was much beloved. And when he grew old he divided the kingdom among his four sons. That they should be the pillars on which their piece of land rested. But the oldest prince wanted to rule the land for himself, he followed his own path and the kingdom fell, from war and chaos and ruin."

At the end, there were black and white pieces scattered on my floor. More mess for me to deal with.

"That's a nice story," I said sarcastically.

"It's not just a story, Merida. Legends are lessons, and they ring with truths!"

"Ach, mom!"

"I would advise you to make your peace with this. The Dingwalls are going to present their suitor."

"It's not fair!" 

I was right. I knew that I was. I was right and my mother would not listen to me. I could explain all damn day and she still would not understand. My face has become rigid, jaw clamped tight, teeth grinding. In her head, this was a victory already. In her warped logic, my anger meant she was right. Just because she was the queen, it does not prove the veracity of that argument. She was coolly wrong.

"Oh, Merida! It's marriage, it's not the end of the world."

My pulse sped up and I breathed very shallowly. my His muscles grew tense. I felt his temperature rising, he could almost feel his blood boiling in his veins.She walked out of my room and I slammed the door hard; I hope her stupid brain rattle in her stupid skull. A scream tore through me like a great shard of glass. I felt my eyes widen and pulse quicken, my heart thudding like a rock rattling in a box. The scream came again, angry, frustrated... human. 

•••

I am now talking to my horse, telling him everything I wished I could tell my mother.

"Call off the gathering! Would that kill them? You're the queen, you can just tell the clan, the princess is not ready for this. In fact, she might not be ever ready for this! So that's that! Good day to you. We'll expect your declarations of war in the morning."

Angus looked at me like he could really understand. That was what I love about him. He always understands me. When the pressure of my day was inside me, not like a tangled knot but like a ticking bomb, I needed to let it explode somewhere safe. I need to go somewhere it could not do lasting damage—and that was why I have Angus. When I need to vent I just walk to his stall, and he would know what was coming. It was not a therapy session where psychology and feelings were the answer. I get to yell my lungs out and be honest and a bitch while he eats his hay and nods in the right places. His job was to tell me that I was heard by someone, that I was right or wrong, or that I was not just going crazy.

I continued, "I don't want my life to be over. I want my freedom! I'm not doing any of this to hurt you! But it's my life! I'm just not ready..."

I never even been kissed a boy before yet I am going to be wed. I am not ready for romance or vows or all of that sappy stuff. My life seemed too short to be tied down now. I want to go on an adventure. I want to see new faces, and see new things, and be in other fates.

"I think I could make you understand if you would just listen!"

Angus then neighed end in response.

"I swear, Angus, this isn't going to happen. Not if I can help it." I said.

Trapped. No way out. That was how I felt. My world was painted in absolute blackness, not a trace of light anywhere. My prison would be sealed when I would say "I do." My breathing was steady, my mind was still focused. If there was a way in there is a way out, it was just a matter of thinking clearly until I would find it.