Chapter 18

(Pan's POV)

How did I screw this up again? I did not mean any of this to happen. But, damn, Merida can sure smell a lie. I was hiding something from her, from all the Lost Boys. It is neither bad nor good; but let's just say if anyone found it, then we may have a problem.

I could not believe I made Merida upset with me again. She tells me everything. The best parts and worst parts. I had no reason to hide this from her. I can trust her. But something inside of me was saying, "Don't do it. She's going to use it to get off the island and you'll never see her again." I paid for not listening to her before.

All the Lost boys had fallen asleep while I decided to take guard tonight. I was watching the fire when Merida appeared.

"Merida," I started. "Before you say what you have to say, please listen. I'm sorry. I should have trusted you. You always tell me everything. Now It's my turn to tell you something."

She hesitantly nodded. Then said, "I'm sorry too. I'm hypocritical for saying that. I may not always tell you everything—"

I cut her off, "But you do. You're the most honest girl I have ever met." Did I really just said that? Oh, crap.

Merida stared at me. I have never seen this look of her before. Then she said, "So, um, what is it you wanted to tell me?"

I grinned, "Follow me."

"You might want to blindfold me, though,"

I then was about to ask why, but decide not to. With one look at her, I knew why. I grabbed a rag and wrapped it around Merida's face. Then I flashed us in front of a door.

I pulled out a key from my pocket and placed it in the lock. The door creaked open. I then lead the blind beauty into the room. I closed the door quickly to prevent any spies from looking.

"Are we there yet?" Merida asked.

"You can take your blindfold off now," I said.

Merida slowly pulled off the ragged. I was staring at her face to see any reactions.

"What is this place?" she softly questioned.

"My secret," I answered. "This is where I keep my magical items I have collected over the years."

"By the looks of it, you had this place for a long time."

I chuckled. It was true. I had it quite some decades. The place had high shelves with rolling ladders. I then divided the list with Merida and started looking. God, I really need to organize this place better.

"Where did you get all this stuff?" Merida asked.

"When I traveled the realms to get the Lost Boys. I find some stuff here and there. I keep all of this just in case of a rainy day."

"You traveled?"

"I used to. Why?"

She was silent for a moment. Then sheepishly answered, "I always wanted to travel the world. But I never could."

"Oh," I said with simplicity.

"What was your favorite place to travel?" Merida asked with a fond smile.

"The Enchanted Forest."

"Why? There's nothing great about it."

"It just helps me remember how my life was back then."

"I knew it!" Merida shrieked with delight. "I knew that you weren't born here like you said! So what happened? Did a fairy kidnapped you or..."

I stayed silent. I never thought I see the day where I talk about my past with someone. I never thought that Merida would be this excited about my back story. I never thought that I could be capable of moving on.

"Sorry," she said without trying to sound embarrassed. "I shouldn't have brought it up."

"No, no," I reassured. "I never thought you would be this interested about any of this."

Merida ran to me almost immediately. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want you."

I took a deep breath and told her everything. Starting from when my father sold me to a blacksmith. The memories of days in front of hot coals, the sweat and the grime were still in the back of my mind. Merida was silent in the hours of my story. The next part of the story I wanted to do quickly. I told her about Evanna and how we had a son, Rumpelstiltskin. Merida was less shocked than I thought she would. It then all ended when I abandoned my son for power and youth.

"Please say something?" I nervously asked.

She then leaned for a hug. I hugged her back. This was probably the first time I have ever told my story. It was the first moment I felt this much love. I knew then, that I did not love Merida for her face and figure. I mean, they are nice; but that's beside the point. I love the look her eyes whenever she is happy. I love how curious she no matters the danger. Merida is brave without question. She is flawed with impatience, high tempered, and some selfishness; but I love those too. I'm deep, truly in love with Merida.

I broke the hug, "I want to show you something."

I took her hand and lead her to the entrance door. I then lifted the mat to grab an extra key.

"No," Merida said with a sad grimace. "Mor'du—"

"I don't care what that smelly furball with fleas do. I trust you. This is not my silo anymore, it's ours."

She chuckled, "No, really. I didn't even collect any of these in here."

"So?" I'm not going to let Merida win this round. "I'll even make it into a necklace for you."

With a wave of my hand, a silver chain flew to my hand. I slide the key in the chain.

"As long as this chain is around your neck, there is no chance that Mor'du or any other thieves will swipe that key."

"You're not going to let this go, are you?"

I shook my head, with a grin.

"Oh, brawly," she sighed in defeat. "Can you just place it on my neck? I can never make that little clasp open."

She turned around and pulled her tangles of hair up, revealing her beautiful neck. I then carefully placed the necklace on it. Merida then spun around, facing me.

"What?" she asked. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Like what? This is how I always look at you."

She rolled her eyes. We then left the silo. 

The woods always look different at night. Everything has an unfamiliar slant to it. As if the daytime trees and flowers and stones had gone to bed and sent slightly more ominous versions of themselves to take their places.

Dawn sent shimmering rays over the placid forest,  bestowing a golden path from the trail to the horizon. I blinked at the sun that brought me a day I was never promised, yet was glad to see. I let the moment sink in, soothe me from her core right out to where the nascent rays touched my skin. This meant a new beginning was possible and possibilities meant hope.

Soon, the yellow shining sun started rising from the ground. It filled the sky with mighty colours of red and splashed the clouds with endless rays of pink. It was bright and mesmerising as it inviting us to stare, deep into the horizon.

"What a beautiful morning," Merida exclaimed with a smile.

There was something about the way Merida smiled. Her smile shone like stars after dark. For in that moment time stopped to stare and admire her. Despite everything she's been going through, she still persisted to smile and be the one thing that brightened up even the saddest of days. She had the kind of smile that made me feel happy to be alive and just little bit more human.

While we were walking back, Merida remembered a song about Mor'du. It was pretty funny and catchy. She has a lovely singing voice too. Merida said that it was sung by the king that lost his leg to the beast. Just when we thought we got out of the frying pan, we got into the fire.