Chapter 35

It had been a few days since we returned to Neverland. It felt great to be home. It had some problems, though. Wendy's brothers came to rescue both her and Baelfire, so they are free. I still thought that Pan should have sent them to the Echo Caves. Wendy and Baelfire are the least of my worries. They could bump into Mor'du for all I care. Surprisingly, I did not see any of them, nor that I want to. I have been spending most of my time hanging out with the boys. Our relationship had grown pretty stronger since DunBroch.

"Hey, um, sis?" Hubert asked while we were having lunch.

"Yes, what is it?" I replied while eating my fish.

"Since everyone have been revealing secrets, I decided to tell you mine."

I sat there and waited. I know where this is going. We both sat there quietly. I added, "Well?"

"Oh, yeah, okay. Wow! I have no idea how to say this."

"Take your time."

"Remember when I have to go out picking berries often or go hunting when we were low on food?"

"Yes."

"I might of, sorta hid some of the food for an excuse to see someone."

"May I ask who?"

"Arista...my girlfriend, who may be part fish."

I smiled. I have never been this happy in my life. My brother has someone. Somebody loves him. I then felt odd with this new relationship I had with my brother. Hubert would not take a lot of things seriously. He was mature than he was as a child. Not that mature, but still. When Hubert was a child, he would be disgusted by the thought of romance and fish. Now, he fell love with someone who was part fish, the irony!

"God, sis, please just yell something! Anything! Are those tears of sadness or joy?" exclaimed Hubert.

I had no idea that I was shedding teardrops. I wiped them off my face. I then dropped my food and pulled him into a hug.

"Sis?" He breathed.

"Yes." I smiled.

"I know that you're upset, but please, don't squeeze me to death."

I let go of him, "I'm sorry! I didn't mean give the wrong message. I'm happy for you, really! Can I meet her?"

"Yes! Yes, of course!"

•••

It's sunset. We were waiting for Hubert's mermaid girlfriend. So far, no sign. I can tell how nervous and eager my brother was.

"She may be running late. Her mother just had another girl, she could be helping her out. Or maybe her four other sisters could delay her. I told her that–"

"Hubert!" I interrupted him. "I'm not going to judge her on her timing. That would be really hypocritical of me. As long as she treats you right, I would be alright."

Hubert stared at me. "You are really scaring me with being so patient and accepting."

"What? I can't control your life or your fate. You should love who you love."

"Wow."

We both were silent for a while. Then, something floated up from the surface. A yellow fish with blue fins and blue stripes. Attached to its sides, a note.

Dear Hubert,

If you want your lover safe, then I suggest that you come to Skull Rock with Merida and only her. Bring no one else. Do as I say and Arista will be let free.