Chaptr 21

(Pan's POV)

"Have you found anything?" Hubert asked.

"Nope," Felix replied. "I checked everywhere; the Echo Caves, Skull Rock, even Dark Hallows."

"There has to be somewhere Mor'du had taken her!" I chimed in.

Merida had been missing for weeks. The first few hours, we thought she was just irritated at us. When it became to days with no return, we started to panic. We first searched at all of Merida's favorite spots: Spine Island, Crab Sound, and the honey and apple trees. No luck. It then occurred to us that she might have been kidnapped by Mor'du. We then searched all the darkest parts of Neverland.

He had to be here because there is something wrong with the animals. They started behave like humans. They walk into camp on their hind legs, acting like they lived here. Also, all the lost boys had been disappearing one by one. No signs of them or Merida.

Then, a black bird swooped in through the window. The bird dropped a small envelope on my desk. It was about to fly away when Hubert grabbed it by the wings.

"You're not going to eat that, right?" I asked.

He scoffed, "No. This bird belongs to Mor'du."

"How can you tell?" Felix questioned.

"Because that envelope is sealed in wax with a battle axe cross. Do you know anyone else who does that?"

I grabbed a dagger and peeled the wax off. Then slowly pulled out the letter. I unfolded it. Next I read out loud:

Dear Hubert, Pan, and Felix

Do not fear for Merida. The angel of beasts has her under his wing. Make no attempt to retrieve her. Be prepared for a great misfortune if you attempt to take her away.

~Mor'du

I looked up. So many feelings swelling up inside me. Fear for Merida. Anger at Mor'du. Frustration for us.

"I'm going after her." I said with firm persistence.

"What?" Hubert and Felix said in unison.

"You heard me! Somewhere out there, Merida is suffering in some kind of hell hole. She would do the exact same thing for us!"

"She would also want the Lost Boys to be safe. You read what Mor'du said. We can't risk the camp's safety." Felix said with remonstrance.

"That's why I'm leaving you two in charge."

"But she's my sister! Why do you need to leave me behind?" Hubert cried out.

"Merida would be utterly destroyed if anything happened to you." I justified. "I trust you two. I can't leave the camp with just anyone. It's my fault that she's been taken. I should of came with her."

"It's all of our faults. The only way we can save her is we do this together. We find this bastard and we rip his heart out." Felix imparted.

"He's right. We're a team. You're the leader. I'm the tracker. And Felix is going to be the one who's going to prevent us from killing each other."

We all chuckled. Then I said, "Boys, you did the impossible and persuaded me to let you join the trip. It may take days, even weeks to do this. We might not even make it out of there alive. So let me ask you, are you ready for this?"

"Yep," they answered instantly.

"Well then, we leave first thing at dawn."

•••