Chapter 10

It had been about a few days since I saw last Pan. I was climbing up a tree to get some honey. Back in Dunbroch, the honey that the maids had was terrible, so I collected my own. I loved my honey. I would usually sing the bees a lullaby to put them asleep, allowing me to steal some honey. It works pretty well—probably because I was part animal. It went like this:

Lullabee, lullabee, honey bees in the tree
Rest your wings 'til the morning light
Lullabee, lullabee, honey bees in the tree
Your honey is safe tonight
Just dream to the tune I am singing
Time to stop all that buzzing and stinging, ouch
Lullabee, lullabee, honey bees in the tree
All I want is a smackerel or two or three
Don't sleep lightly, sleep very tightly
Happy slumbers to you

As I was singing, someone called my name. I was surprised, so I accidentally fell off the high branch. My body twirled and jerked as I fell. The wind in my face made it impossible to breathe. As I knelt in the freshly dug earth, a wave a pain ran through my body. My skin had ruptured above the growing purple blooms. Every movement hurt. The pain throbs in my guts, it's deep and warm, but not in a nice way. It feels like someone has their hand in there and are squeezing my organs either gently or as hand as they can. When it wanes I can move, when it returns I can only hold still and breathe, breath slow and deep until it had passed. Then it quickly faded away. When I looked up, I was Pan.

"I hate you," I said.

"It's not my fault you fell. Besides, I thought we were friends." He grinned.

"How are we friends?" I question.

"Because I'm me. Lots of girls want to be really close friends with me. You should consider yourself lucky."

I rolled my eyes, "What do you want?" 

"I was here to invite you to our hunt. It'll give you a chance to mingle with the other lost boys."

"When is it?"

"Three days from now."

A full moon night. Wow, this boy really was not aware my problems.

"I can't." I lied, again.

"Why? Where's your sense of adventure?"

"I'm busy. I now need to make a new honey pot, thanks to you."

"I'll replace it. Come on, I'm your only friend here. Isn't that kind of sad?"

"No, the main plan is to live the rest of my life alone. Which means no friends, Pan."

"Oh, you cut me deep! I thought I was warming up to you," he joked, then added, "Look, whatever you did in your past, is gone. You should really let it go. And besides, you're immortal. You're never going to die."

"Goodbye, Pan!" I started to leave.

Then, he tackled me! I was on the ground, not able to move. Damn, that idiot was stronger than I thought.

"Are you coming to the hunt?" He grinned.

"Alright! I'll go! Just get the hell off of me!" I yelled. Pan got off and pulled me up.

"You're a wee scunner, you know that?" I criticized.

"What?" Pan asked. Other cultures and their lack of understanding our slang.

I rolled my eyes, "It means that you're a nuisance."

"Yep. Apple?" he held out his hand. In seconds, an apple appeared from a cloud of smoke.