Chapter 29

We were heading towards the castle door. It was a short and quiet walk. Merida was very quiet. Probably about the hug that we had this morning. I just want to make sure that she was not mad at me. I would have been destroyed if I caused Merida's death.

"So, do you think anyone is going to recognize you in the castle?" I asked.

"I don't know. It's been decades since I've last been here." She replied.

The sun was setting and there was no sign of lights. It must be safe to walk in without any trouble. We walked through the large, double doors. My first step into the eerie castle echoes. I looked down at the cold, hard stone floors, each tile chosen with a specific taste in mind. The markings of violence were etched into the cold marble of the floor. The sounds of our footsteps echoed against the stone walls, shattering the omnipresent silence. As I walked forward, I could smell the fear that had been haunting the inhabitants of the castle. When we got to the ball room, I noticed the tiles were to red. Then I heard a crack. I looked down. There were bones, thousands of bones scattered around the floor. The walls were also splattered with worn-out red and scratches. It looked like a bear mauled in.

"Merida," I whispered. "Was this the place where you... you..."

"Yes," She breathed. "Yes it was. I lost control in a big ball. This incidence was what led me to run away."

"Oh."

Merida picked up the pace. She suddenly seems to be in a rush. I do not blame her with all these memories flooded through her mind. My heart raced dangerously as I neared the spiraling staircase. It seemed to go on forever before being swallowed by darkness. For a moment I stopped to admire its height. If the arched ceilings were not so high the staircase would have, inevitably, been less intriguing to regard.

"This is a nice castle." I commented.

"Eh," Merida replied.

"How could you say that?"

"I just prefer the forest."

Without looking, Merida said, "Come on, there's no time to dawdle."

"What? There is no one here."

Merida stopped turned around, "How about you stay right here to keep watch, so I can check the place. Just stay in that very spot."

"Why?"

"So you can make sure that no one will come through."

"Okay, I guess."

That was weird. It was almost like Merida did not even wanted me to be in the castle. I wondered why she never mentioned that she was in a ball when it happened. I would not laugh at her. I understand that Merida may sometime be embarrassed of being her feminine side. I decided to look around the place. I came across the portrait part of the castle. I saw portraits and tapestries of the royal family. I was walking down the hall. I stopped. That light face, those eyes, the uncontrollable hair. She was wearing a navy blue gown. Next to her, was probably the biggest surprise of all. I read the plaque:

Princess Merida and Lord Dingwall

on their betrothal ball

before their disappearance.

"Pan?"

I turned around and walked away from Merida. Upset, offended, hurt. It was the emotional pain I have been through at that moment. At first I was confused, then it all made sense. It feels like you will never be able to trust again. I mean, will I trust them again?

•••

"Pan, please come back so I can explain." Merida called. I was walking in front of her a few feet away.

"Explain which part? That you were a princess or engaged to Felix?" I implied.

"Both parts!"

"Really, when?"

"I just couldn't find the right moment." She defended.

"You had plenty of moments, you just didn't use them."

"Look, I mess up big, okay? I never meant any of this to hurt you." She grabbed my wrist. "I'm sorry, Peter. I'm really, truly sorry."

"So am I. I wish that you could leave me alone." I walked away from her.

•••

I silently came back to camp and straight into my tent. I heard talking outside. I stayed in my tent for a few hours. How could Merida do this to me. I told her my story, truthfully. Why didn't she? I can not believe the thing that I loved most hurt me.

"Pan," Hubert said. No answer. "Listen, You're pissed at us, we don't blame you. We are all human, sorta, we make mistakes. We regret doing that to you, especially Merida. She cares about you. You should see it in her eyes. You have no idea how terrible Merida feels. We're all sorry."

I spent the rest of the night thinking about what Hubert said. They have never did anything to hurt me before. They were always loyal, trustful, helpful. They were my friends. I went to sleep feeling a bit calmer and better. The next morning, I woke up and came out of the tent. Hubert was cooking something while Felix was sharpening his knife. They both looked up at me.

"Pan," Felix began. "I had no romantic feelings for Merida, whatsoever. Neither did she."

"It's alright boys." I said. "I forgive you. It stings me that it happened, but I forgive you."

I looked around. "Where's Merida?"

"In her tent, probably still upset." Hubert said.

I went to her tent. "Merida." Nothing. "Merida, I forgive you." Still not a sound. "Merida, I'm not mad at you anymore."

I opened the tent. It was empty! I started to panic. Where is she? Could she? No, she would not. She would not have done what I said last night. My wish. I did not mean it. I was upset. I said those things in the moment because I was an angry idiot.

"Pan," I spun around. There she was.

"I thought that you..." I said

"Like I said," Merida repeated. "'I'll never leave you, whether you like it or not.'"

She pulled me in a big hug. I looked up, "Come on boys, join in."

We all joined in a group hug. These are my friends. We are going to deal with Mor'du and spend the rest of our lives together in, Neverland. We are going to have fun and be young.

"Pan." Merida said. She was looking up.

"What?" I asked.

"Remember that I told you about the will o' wisp?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Look."

I broke the hug and looked behind me. There were a trail of floating balls of blue light. The four of us followed them into the forest.